Main Menu

Hypothetical Dash Wiring Question

Started by anlauto, September 08, 2018, 11:35:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

If I took a running driving, finished car and removed only the instrument cluster, would the car still start and run ?  :dunno:

I'm guessing I would need to bolt the black and red Amp gauge wires together in order to complete the circuit, but other than that, can anybody think of a reason why the car would start and run ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

I'm thinking as long as you had an amp gauge or made the connection it would be no different then a run stand.  You still have the steering column in it, right?  So the starter and power would all still work I think. 

What are you thinking of doing?

anlauto

I don't usually take on small jobs, I like the full ground up restorations.

.....but I had a new customer today drop off his 1971 Cuda which is an older restoration, great looking driver. He wants me to replace ALL the wiring including the dash wiring. While the instruments are out he'd like those fully restored as well.

As we know, sending the gauges out will take awhile, meaning I will have to store the car in the mean time as I can't have it tying up my shop waiting for the gauges. So I was wondering if I could just remove the gauges while the car is in storage, but still have the ability to DRIVE it up onto my trailer, as apposed to pushing and winching  :pullinghair: onto the trailer, to move it to my shop when the gauges return ? When the gauges get here, that's when I'll pull the rest of the wiring out of the car. Yes the steering column wiring won't be affected at the time. It looks like it needs new column wiring as well.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Lemontwist

I don't see why not.  The start switch in the start position goes to the starter.  After it starts it returns to the run position when the gauges kick in
Drew

1 Wild R/T

I've done it back when a 70 R/T SE was my daily driver... And only car...... Bolt the red & black together & your good......   

Convertcuda

Alan I do it all the time. Works perfect just make sure black and red wires are away from metal.

Ken

ply64post

RUNCHARGER

I've done it as well and I agree to wrap the ammeter wires and tie them away from anything metal.
Sheldon

anlauto

Thanks guys, that's the reassurance I needed, I didn't want to have to push the heavy slug around... :drinkingbud:

chargerdon

Yep...first, yes tie the red and black ammeter wires together along with some black tape, and it should start and run.

Heck, Ill do you one better.   You can take out the entire dash !!  and ALLof the passenger side wiring.   

To start the car simply:
1) remove the right most bulkhead connector and take a wire with female spade connector ...connect to the male blade on engine side harness for post 23...  (ign run) and with alligator clip to the battery starter relay post.   This powers the ign system.

2) jumper wire from starter post (middle post) on starter relay to battery post on starter relay...to crank it...   

I had my car at the painters with no dash board at all in it and this is how i rigged it for him to start and drive...while at his shop !!   IT's easy !!