Main Menu

I am a Be LED ver!

Started by Cudajason, November 08, 2018, 06:43:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Playing around in the garage tonight and thought I would try out the LED lights I recently purchased for my instrument panel lights.

HOLLY CRAP what a difference!  I love technology!!!

I had planned to pull the instrument panel this winter and clean the lenses and "restore" it..not sure I am going to do that now!

Before and after pics below...I think you can guess which are which.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Duh....you mounted your gauges upside down... :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on November 08, 2018, 06:45:34 PM
Duh....you mounted your gauges upside down... :drunk:

Makes driving more fun!!!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

GY3R/T

Kinda funny.... LED's were used in the early 60's.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GY3R/T on November 08, 2018, 07:04:42 PM

Don't think so....

Cut & Paste...

The first commercial LEDs were commonly used as replacements for incandescent and neon indicator lamps, and in seven-segment displays,[34] first in expensive equipment such as laboratory and electronics test equipment, then later in such appliances as TVs, radios, telephones, calculators, as well as watches (see list of signal uses). Until 1968, visible and infrared LEDs were extremely costly, in the order of US$200 per unit, and so had little practical use. The Monsanto Company was the first organization to mass-produce visible LEDs, using gallium arsenide phosphide (GaAsP) in 1968 to produce red LEDs suitable for indicators.  Hewlett-Packard (HP) introduced LEDs in 1968, initially using GaAsP supplied by Monsanto. These red LEDs were bright enough only for use as indicators, as the light output was not enough to illuminate an area. Readouts in calculators were so small that plastic lenses were built over each digit to make them legible. Later, other colors became widely available and appeared in appliances and equipment.

I think what your referring to is Electroluminescent lighting

6Pack70

Wow!  That looks great!  What LEDs did you use?   

Cudajason

Yeah funny how slow we are to adopt some technology...the 60s really!

Jason

GY3R/T

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 08, 2018, 07:17:47 PM

Don't think so....

Cut & Paste...

The first commercial LEDs were commonly used as replacements for incandescent and neon indicator lamps, and in seven-segment displays,[34] first in expensive equipment such as laboratory and electronics test equipment, then later in such appliances as TVs, radios, telephones, calculators, as well as watches (see list of signal uses). Until 1968, visible and infrared LEDs were extremely costly, in the order of US$200 per unit, and so had little practical use. The Monsanto Company was the first organization to mass-produce visible LEDs, using gallium arsenide phosphide (GaAsP) in 1968 to produce red LEDs suitable for indicators.  Hewlett-Packard (HP) introduced LEDs in 1968, initially using GaAsP supplied by Monsanto. These red LEDs were bright enough only for use as indicators, as the light output was not enough to illuminate an area. Readouts in calculators were so small that plastic lenses were built over each digit to make them legible. Later, other colors became widely available and appeared in appliances and equipment.

with
No. 1962 GE came out with the first visual LED in the form of red Diode.

Katfish

I'm a believer too, and the added bonus is that the LEDs use less than 10% of the current compared to the filament bulbs.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GY3R/T on November 08, 2018, 07:29:34 PM

Don't think so....

Cut & Paste...

with

LED's existed in the early 60's.....  Were they used?  Yeah, in government projects & laboratories...   

From the above cut & paste 
"Until 1968, visible and infrared LEDs were extremely costly, in the order of US$200 per unit"
To put that in perspective... In 1964 My dad as an E-5 in the USAF had a base pay of $160 per month.... 

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: I'm an old guy but apparently I'm the only one that dims the dash lights on an E-body at night.
Sheldon

GY3R/T

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 08, 2018, 07:40:30 PM
Quote from: GY3R/T on November 08, 2018, 07:29:34 PM

Don't think so....

Cut & Paste...

with

LED's existed in the early 60's.....  Were they used?  Yeah, in government projects & laboratories...   

From the above cut & paste 
"Until 1968, visible and infrared LEDs were extremely costly, in the order of US$200 per unit"
To put that in perspective... In 1964 My dad as an E-5 in the USAF had a base pay of $160 per month....
Didn't know we were talkin bout cost. just when LED's were used. :huh:

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 08, 2018, 07:42:40 PM
Ha, ha: I'm an old guy but apparently I'm the only one that dims the dash lights on an E-body at night.
Not the only guy , I too dim the lights down so there is more light outside the car & the gauges while readable are less distracting , red lighting is actually better as well & it has less effect on night vision

blown motor

Quote from: Cudajason on November 08, 2018, 07:20:03 PM

Yeah funny how slow we are to adopt some technology...the 60s really!

Jason

Ya, but when bell bottom jeans came out we were on them in a heartbeat!  :rofl:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chargerdon

what is the part number of the led's you used for the light bar? 

Also, yes electroluminecent lighting was used in the 60's on several mopars.   I have a 66 Charger that uses it...  Its very cool...but, wish it was standard lighting.   When a gauge that isn't made anymore shorts out on the luminescence its very costly to repair (only 1 guy that i know does it and i think he charges $100 per gauge plus shipping) as opposed to replacing a light bulb.