Main Menu

Is There a Trick??? - Removing Spade Connectors from Bulkhead Connector Block

Started by DeathProofCuda, August 26, 2023, 09:32:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

Is there a trick to release the female spade terminal connectors from the bulkhead connector block at the firewall?  I've tried firmly pulling on them using needle nose pliers at the back of the connector and have also probed around a bit with a small screw driver from the front side trying to get them to release, but so far no luck.  Is there some kind of trick to getting these things to release and easily pull out or do I just have to pull harder?  Trying not to break anything that's going to cost me a bunch of money, or is difficult to replace, which is pretty much anything on an E-body.  Thanks.

71vert340

Yes, there's a terminal release tool that is inserted to release the tang that holds connector in. Google search for the automotive bulkhead connector release tool. Works great.
Terry W.

Bullitt-

Very small flat blade has always worked for me for the female connector, picture center.
      You need to come in on the receiving side, not the wire side, to release the catch. 

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

71vert340

Here's the tools I use and they work okay. It takes some practice to use them. The round multi-release tool also does round connectors.
Terry W.

Jay Bee

Like Bullitt I use a flat screwdriver, usually jeweler's.

Katfish

Thx JB,

I always forget which way to come in, pic is worth a 1000's words.
Screen shot that for future reference

DeathProofCuda

Jay Bee

Remember to lift up (female) or spread out (male) the tangs when pushing the terminals back into the plugs/connectors. I know, that goes without saying, just thought I'd make it 100% sure.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Jay Bee on August 27, 2023, 11:16:34 AM
Remember to lift up (female) or spread out (male) the tangs when pushing the terminals back into the plugs/connectors. I know, that goes without saying, just thought I'd make it 100% sure.

Hey, when I can't even figure out how to remove the connectors, all those little details are worth saying.  I appreciate the input.  Thanks again!,  :cheers:

Jay Bee

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on August 28, 2023, 10:40:19 AM
Hey, when I can't even figure out how to remove the connectors, all those little details are worth saying.  I appreciate the input.  Thanks again!,  :cheers:
ROTFLMAO -  Thanks for my daily laugh, hadn't had one 'til I read that.

DeathProofCuda

Can anyone recommend a good source for purchasing OE-style replacement open barrel connectors like these?  Are most of the 500+ piece sets on Amazon worthless offshore junk, or is there not much difference in what is available these days?

dodj

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on August 28, 2023, 02:12:38 PM
Can anyone recommend a good source for purchasing OE-style replacement open barrel connectors like these?  Are most of the 500+ piece sets on Amazon worthless offshore junk, or is there not much difference in what is available these days?
I bought mine from the dodge dealer in town. It's been a while but they may still be available from the mothership.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bullitt-

I needed to replace a melted plug so I contacted Bill Evans who supplied terminals as well. http://www.evanswiring.com/contact.htm
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Katfish

Jay Bee

I should also mention that there's this "type" (not exactly as shown) too. Used with turn signal, ignition switch, & trunk light; that I know of.