Main Menu

LED Bulb Swaps ??

Started by filmsurgeon, January 20, 2018, 02:28:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

filmsurgeon

Looking for any/all feedback from members that have swapped their traditional incandescent bulbs for LEDs.  What's the latest/greatest options?  What did you use, and are you happy/unhappy with them?  Doing some short online research, I've seen options for headlights, tail-lights, side-markers, front turn-signals, dash/instrument, etc.  For tail-lights: opinions on Digi-tails, or Putco 1157 Plasma LEDs? Thanks for your help.

Jay Bee

The L.E.D. dash kit I bought from Herb's Parts was just for my intstument cluster (9 bulbs I believe). They all fit perfectly and were dimmable.

filmsurgeon

Quote from: Jay Bee on January 20, 2018, 03:09:15 PM
The L.E.D. dash kit I bought from Herb's Parts was just for my intstument cluster (9 bulbs I believe). They all fit perfectly and were dimmable.

Thanks.  I see the picture ad for their kits on their home page, but can't find how to purchase.

Brads70

I have had the Digi-tails LED tail lights for a 5 years or so now with no issues. Much brighter/safer than the stock bulbs IMO.

GoodysGotaCuda

Philips has some decent 1157 tails, I run them in my Warlock. I'd like to try their 1157 Ambers for the front of the 'Cuda, all but my headlights are LED.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Racer57

How good of quality is an LED light in side markers and brake lights if you only replace the bulb ?  I would think the stock reflectors wouldn't do much good and you would only see a "spot light" instead of the whole fixture lite up.

I have them for my dash lights and they are great !!

shawge

I made a short video a while ago where I tested out the Phillips 1157 in my 70 Challenger tail light w/ the stockers
Edit: stock bulb on left, LED on right

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

filmsurgeon

Quote from: shawge on January 20, 2018, 07:51:49 PM
I made a short video a while ago where I tested out the Phillips 1157 in my 70 Challenger tail light w/ the stockers

Interesting.  I watched it several times.  Hard to really tell, but is the LED bulb on the left?  If so, you can hardly tell it's "on" unless the brake/turn signal circuit is activated.

shawge

LED is on the right side with the very fast turn on time.  The incandescent bulb needs time to warm up before it can glow.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

shawge

Here's a close up of the Phillips bulb in the housing.  It is _very_ bright - the picture does not do it justice.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Katfish

LED on left, as mentioned it has faster turn on and off time

https://youtu.be/weiSEfbacsU

Katfish

Quote from: Racer57 on January 20, 2018, 06:53:56 PM
How good of quality is an LED light in side markers and brake lights if you only replace the bulb ?  I would think the stock reflectors wouldn't do much good and you would only see a "spot light" instead of the whole fixture lite up.

You're correct about the subject side marker bulbs.  Most replacements only have the LEDs on the end of the element, this creates a spotlight effect.  Search for a bulb that has the LEDs all around the perimeter.

my70chally

[dquote author=Brads70 link=topic=5327.msg75718#msg75718 date=1516491816]
I have had the Digi-tails LED tail lights for a 5 years or so now with no issues. Much brighter/safer than the stock bulbs IMO.
[/quote]

Did you have to do any wiring modifications?  Did the stock flasher work?

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Katfish on January 21, 2018, 06:09:45 AM
Quote from: Racer57 on January 20, 2018, 06:53:56 PM

You're correct about the subject side marker bulbs.  Most replacements only have the LEDs on the end of the element, this creates a spotlight effect.  Search for a bulb that has the LEDs all around the perimeter.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=LED+1157   Like most of,these. I've had good luck with LUYED.

For LED flasher this worked well.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510226

filmsurgeon

Quote from: Katfish on January 21, 2018, 05:27:45 AM
LED on left, as mentioned it has faster turn on and off time

https://youtu.be/weiSEfbacsU

What kind of LEDs are those?  Bulb style or circuit-board style?