Main Menu

LED Headlights

Started by Tantster, October 01, 2019, 05:25:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tantster

I've had a headlight fail and since I have to replace I thought about LED's. Is there any negatives to switching? Confirmed with seller that it has the 3 prong connector.

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

nsmall

70 Challenger Lover

Chryco Psycho

There are a couple of other threads on this .
My take is do it , brighter & better light quality , lower power draw , I have had LED headlights in my Vans for a couple of years now 

70 Challenger Lover

Do they plug into the existing harness plugs? Any modifications needed? Physical or electrical

Tantster

Seller advised they would plug into existing 3 prong harness. Waiting for reply if any modifications are needed.

JonH

They likely come with a pigtail adapter to allow them to plug into the oem connector. The oe connector will not go directly to the bulb. Also you may have to modify your headlight buckets by opening up the hole in the rear slightly..

Chryco Psycho

I agree , 3 prong pigtail to plug into the existing plug

Katfish

Following too, please post how it worlds out.

7212Mopar

I got four headlamps with H4 halogen bulbs off EBay, glass over metal can. I kept the high beam halogen but bought H4 LEDs for the low beam. Not all LEDs are equal so read the reviews. I also got the headlamp relay harness from Crackedback (member on this site). It is very bright and seems to have a good light pattern. However, I have not driven the car at night. The LED bulbs have tiny build in fans so you hear it standing next to it when it is on but engine not running.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

dodj

I was looking at these lights, Similar to the op's lights.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-5-75-5-3-4-Round-H4-Clear-Projector-Headlights-w-36W-LED-H4-Bulbs-Chevy/333049077797?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
They look fine, but I just don't know the quality of lamps you get for $69. I want headlights I can depend on.
Also a little confusing seeing as it lists them as 36w led bulbs and 55w quartz bulbs.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

:popcorn:  curious as to others experiences as I'm considering something like this for the Javelin? These would also work for a Cuda

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-7-Inch-Round-LED-Headlights-Halo-Angle-Eyes-For-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-LJ-TJ-CJ/263372193221?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or without the halo feature....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2PCS-Black-7Inch-Round-LED-Headlights-High-Low-Dual-Beam-Slim-For-Truck-Car-SUV/292932988902?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

an issue that concerns me is are they " really" dot approved? they may have the letters "DOT" on the plastic lenses but are they really ? I assume they are made offshore....

70 Challenger Lover

For me, I am looking for:

1) improvement over stock bulb
2) no significant modifications
3) must look original

Tantster

I ordered them today. Seller advised that I  might have to make slight modifications to the bucket. We'll see how they work out. Should have them by next week and I'll post before and after.