Main Menu

LED Replacements for 70-71 Cuda Road Lamps

Started by MoparCarGuy, November 28, 2023, 07:25:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparCarGuy

I recently installed PAR36 LED lamps in Cool White for the bulbs in my Road Lamp housings. Found these are very common and even sold at Home Depot.
I sourced mine from Amazon and the vendor has both Cool White and Warm White in 2-Packs.
They are extremely bright compared to the original incandescent bulbs.
My headlights, parking lights, and side markers are already LED. I also installed the Digi-tails LED taillights with sequential option (you can change it with a switch on the circuit card. All of these LEDs are bright and much safer at night.

Jay Bee

Very nice, I may consider those not only for the brightness but I'm sure as less load on the wiring.

What LED did you go with for headlights - Holley RetroBright?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: Jay Bee on November 29, 2023, 05:54:55 AMVery nice, I may consider those not only for the brightness but I'm sure as less load on the wiring.

Click on his post where it's highlighted " Amazon" cool feature not quite sure how you do that?

Jay Bee

Quote from: Brads70 on November 29, 2023, 11:00:58 AMClick on his post where it's highlighted " Amazon" cool feature not quite sure how you do that?
I did that. Those are the fog lights, I'm asking about HEADLIGHTS. @MoparCarGuy

MoparCarGuy

@Jay Bee
For the headlights...
I created a new Post called LED Headlamp Headlight Conversion (Hella H4 165mm) 7" Round with all of the info.

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: Brads70 on November 29, 2023, 11:00:58 AM
Quote from: Jay Bee on November 29, 2023, 05:54:55 AMVery nice, I may consider those not only for the brightness but I'm sure as less load on the wiring.

Click on his post where it's highlighted " Amazon" cool feature not quite sure how you do that?
@Brads70 Are you asking how to add a hyperlink to the page? If so,

jlemler

So, I have really screwed-up and have blown through two road-lamp housings. The Par36 lamp is very tight and hard to fit into the housing.  I did get one to sit correctly and installed the other one I cannot get it to remotely fit.  I am beginning to think the bulb is the issue.  The out side flange is covering the screw hole(s).  Any thoughts at this point will be greatly apricated.  The one that fit was a real challenge to even make it fit.
The are working but looking at the screwed up one is killing me.  You cannot beat the brightness. I wish the would make a LED bulb that would just fit.   

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: jlemler on January 20, 2024, 10:33:58 AMSo, I have really screwed-up and have blown through two road-lamp housings. The Par36 lamp is very tight and hard to fit into the housing.  I did get one to sit correctly and installed the other one I cannot get it to remotely fit.  I am beginning to think the bulb is the issue.  The out side flange is covering the screw hole(s).  Any thoughts at this point will be greatly apricated.  The one that fit was a real challenge to even make it fit.
The are working but looking at the screwed up one is killing me.  You cannot beat the brightness. I wish the would make a LED bulb that would just fit.   

I did not really have an issue with the LED bulb fitting in the housing. I must say that any road lamp chrome bezel is a slight challenge as the phillips screws always have to be inserted at a slight angle to get them into the steel housing.

Is that the issue you are having? Getting the screws past the bulb and into the housing tabs/holes?

jlemler

That is the problem.  I love the look of the lights.  Its the fitment is killing me.

toadstool

And I thought I was the only one having challenges on the fitment....
70 Cuda Convertible

jlemler

Again great idea, great look, but horrible fit.  I actually screwed up two housings trying to get the bleeding light to fit.

MoparCarGuy

I took some pictures of the bezels and bezel screws showing the angle needed to install the bezel screws.
First two pictures are driver's side. Last three are passenger side.
Even the factory incandescent lamps require the same angle.
Probably need to clean/detail those road lamps. LOL