Main Menu

N88 E body Speed/Cruise Control System

Started by screamindriver, July 04, 2018, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

screamindriver

Rather than clutter up the A01 thread I wanted to start this new one for the ebody speed control...

I'm in the process of gathering/restoring parts to make a functional system and I'm running into the same problems as most are going to encounter...So hopefully we can get some good info on just what the system includes for correctness...Show others what's needed.. And more importantly what's available today that could be used...
    Alan,Randy, and Tav I know you've all contributed  info over the years to some degree but there's not one good source for someone to see exactly what's needed to make the system functional again so hopefully any members with knowledge/parts can make this one a good reference thread..
  I've saved pics from all sources so if one happens to be yours thanks in advance...
   I'll start with a quick wiring overview...

screamindriver

Here's a close-up of what I call the sub-harness for lack of a better ID...As you can see the engine bay side of the harness is wrapped with cloth tape and has the harness tag where the engine bay/servo harness connects...Does anyone know the correct tag part number for this section of harness ???
    I've also been finding some original plastic harness connectors in grey or black it must be a supplier variance...
  Unfortunately the harness isn't being repoped...I'm not sure on just what percentage of E bodys came with the speed control but I would have thought M&H would have found it profitable to offer this harness...
Tav, I know you've stated you sent your harness to M&H but I called last week and they have no pattern or blueprint to make it happen...
Alan, I can send M&H an original set to see if we can get a run of them...I'll need to call again and get more details..

1 Wild R/T

The correct switch/turn signal lever is tough to find, it's longer than any other Mopar from the time frame... But there is an acceptable work around... I've built four of them through the years by using two C body levers... I slide the switch off both the levers I cut the wires just above the connector, new connectors are available...... Then I cut the two short levers leaving the sections I'm gonna use long enough to make the long E body lever....  It should be 5.25 from the bend at the base to the shoulder where the switch butts against... Anyway, once you have the two pieces I lay them in a section of angle iron to hold them in alignment & run a series of tack welds, weld & rotate, weld & rotate.... Then grind & smooth it till your satisfied...   The nice thing is E body levers is they were never chrome plated, they were painted silver argent...  Feed the wires through the lever & slide the switch back on... Crimp new connectors on the wires & your now the proud owner of an E body cruise control lever... 

1 Wild R/T

The correct 70-71 E body cruise control servo bracket is another hard to find item....  Most non original installs use completely wrong brackets that can be spotted mile off.. The bracket on the Orange Cuda is correct... The bracket on the green Challenger is mine.... I've held it side by side with a correct part, the contour & angles are the same as the E body bracket, the differences are the three bolt hole pattern is inverted & the stiffener bead is also inverted.....
The bracket I use isn't easy to find but they probably built twenty plus times as many as the E body bracket....    It comes off a 71-72 B body....

anlauto

I need the bracket that mounts to the master cylinder., and I could use a new cable too... :help:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

@anlauto Do you know the cable length you need, is it speedo to servo cable?  I've got some a box of parts and I'm following this thread to see what I actually have and how to disperse it...

YYZ

:australia:
Quote from: anlauto on July 05, 2018, 04:34:34 AM
I need the bracket that mounts to the master cylinder., and I could use a new cable too... :help:

I have a short cable from the N95 emissions control — if you know the length I can compare them.

screamindriver

Randy, the servo mounting bracket you've got is so close to the correct part it took me a while to see any differences..Nice alternative if you don't have the original...Here's a question...How do you get the lever apart ???? If I'm looking at mine correctly it appears there's a snap ring under the barrel that needs to be removed??? Not an easy task if that's the case...

I've got the original e-body speedo cables,servo and bracket, lever, and all the wiring...I'll post some measurements and specs so we can all see just what is needed...I pulled the box from storage and the wrapping news paper is from 1986 !!! :o

screamindriver

Alan, I thought the master cylinder bracket is being reproduced ???  :thinking:...

screamindriver

Well, I was looking at available NOS parts from various sources then in the parts book and as usual I'm more confused now than when I started.. :haha:.. Most of the speed control part numbers have been superseded many times over... The only real way to get it right would be to measure some originals and go from there... I'll take it one step at a time...

Back to the wiring harnesses...Here's what I've got...To be honest they are in great shape...But that tends to happen when they've been in a box for 30 years... I need to contact M$H and find out exactly what they do or don't have for components...I did have more than one 70 harness in the box and some other year harnesses as well that have the correct connectors but the wiring length varies...

screamindriver

Here's some close-ups of some of the connectors of the original harness...The stalk connector has a white sealer over the wiring to hold it in place...Also the white tracer of the black wire has a unique pattern throughout the whole run...
      One nice thing is the servo connectors are the same for many years I'll throw in a pic showing a few different years...The 75 cordoba harness has a rubber coating and looks like an extension cord ...
   Lastly, the 70 stalk connector is black and later years are white with a slight difference but it looks as though they'd be interchangeable... More importantly as I've stated previously I'm finding black and white connectors even for the e body pieces so I would say either would be correct in any combination..

1 Wild R/T

Waiting for someone to post photos of the various styles of switch bodies used from 69-74...

As far as taking it apart... I know I saw photos of it done so someone has had it apart.... All I did was slide the switch off the lever.... 
By holding the lever in a vise if you grasp the switch assembly down close to the lever & pull the switch will come off.... Don't pull up near the rotating portion or you'll break it but down by the lever is pretty solid....

anlauto

Quote from: screamindriver on July 05, 2018, 03:37:54 PM
Alan, I thought the master cylinder bracket is being reproduced ???  :thinking:...

That's great news, do you know who might carry them ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

fc7cuda

I have some NOS ones, how about $20 at Carlisle?

anlauto

Are you vending at Carlisle ? If so whereabouts ?