Main Menu

N88 E body Speed/Cruise Control System

Started by screamindriver, July 04, 2018, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Backwards & attached to the wrong place.... It's attached to the stud the throttle cable attaches to... It should be on the front edge of the throttle lever like in the picture of the sixpack....

screamindriver

I've made some significant progress with research,details, and the Carlisle parts hunt for the speed control system..
  First up a big thanks to fc7cuda for bringing all the NOS pieces of the puzzle for my system completion ..Thanks a bunch Tom and it was a pleasure meeting you in person..You definitely made the hunt much easier...

I've spoken with Tommy White {he now offers a 2 pc speed control harness on Ebay} and Bill Evans {Evans wiring} and the general consensus is the early 70 two piece harness{which I've pictured in detail} was at some point superseded to a one piece harness..Considering the rarity of  these harnesses Bill Evans stated he's never held one, but would consider offering them if he could make a pattern from an original...I will be using the original harnesses that I've shown for my project they're just too nice not to use them but I want to make sure others will have the ability to buy them from someone if needed..

Speaking of the early harnesses I've made what I consider to be a great find for detailing...And for me it's all in the details...
  Thinking initially the tags were too far degraded to serve any useful info I figured I'd give it give it a try and carefully unwrap the original harness tags not knowing what exactly I'd find...
     As luck would have it the two sets of original harnesses yielded the correct part numbers and vendor codes !!!! I had to use a light solvent to get the tags unwrapped from themselves but the procedure paid off...
    I'm in contact with ECS to get these tags made for an offering with their already vast list of great products...

screamindriver

I'll post some pics of the lever's barrel disassembly...I won't be doing a complete tear-down of the lever I'm only taking the barrel off for chroming to bring it up to 100%..
  Speaking of chroming..The chrome plating on the barrel as far as I can tell is just that..Chrome plating..I guess the factory wanted to make sure the finish was durable enough to withstand the constant hand contact...Don't confuse this with other interior parts..Most of the E body interior plastic "chrome" was actually a vacuum metalized finish that was sealed with a clear lacquer{AC dash vents,70 cuda and challenger dash script, etc...}..So even when new all it took was a few cleanings with a harsh chemical and your shiny "chrome" finish was either dull or gone completely...
      Fast forward to 2018, it's a little tougher to find a company that's willing to chrome plate a plastic part...I've sent some info to Paul's chrome plating plastics department to see if they can handle the job...
    If anyone has suggestions on a company doing quality plastic chroming post your suggestions please...

Anyhow here's the proper way to get the selector barrel off the stalk :
  There's a C clip in a groove under the barrel.. The C clip needs to slide off the plastic body evenly so you don't distort or apply pressure to the selector barrel and crack it...
How that's done is to make sure the open ends of the C clip are facing towards the levers script before removal...This puts the ends 180* from the rear access slot in the plastic body...
     The rear slot gives access to the C clip so you can hook it and pull evenly from front and back working the C clip out under the barrel...I wrapped the plastic body of the lever with scotch tape so the C clip didn't scratch the surface on the way off...
    Once the C clip is off there's another metal spacer directly behind it slide that off as well...
Don't pull the barrel just yet...There's a metal spacer with a spring under it you need to note the orientation of that spring as you take the barrel off in the event that spacer goes with it..
And that will get the selector barrel off the plastic body...If you're going deeper the next step would be to remove the plastic body from the metal stalk requiring you to take the Lever's wiring connector off so the wires will pass through the stalk{which you need to do to get the barrel off anyhow}...
  Take your time and don't think " I'm never finding another one if I break this" while you're doing it like me.. :haha:

cataclysm80

Great thread guys, I look forward to participating when I have some time.

Can you edit the first post to include "N88" in the thread title to help people find it?

Sometime before 2009, I had Tom at M&H make reproduction cruise harnesses for me.
I just dug out an original harness tonight along with the M&H reproduction.
I snapped a pic, but for some reason my phone pics are HUGE and the forum doesn't like them, so I'll have to resize the pic on a computer and post it later.

I think the part numbers were legible on my harness originally, but they might not be anymore.

I'm the person with all the exploded view pics from disassembling a cruise lever.

I still have the NOS box for the cruise throttle cable, and it came with both styles of clamps.
I'm accustomed to looking at small block stuff, and someone originally told me that one of the clamps looked like a big block clamp because they're different, and I believed them, but I've become suspicious that the different style might just be for 1969 and older cars.

I do have a lost motion link around here somewhere.
I've also installed cruise without one and it still worked great.

I've been ordering my cruise speedometer cables through Year One, and they work just fine.  They're probably not OE correct like NOS, but I don't have my cars judged.

We also need to include where the firewall hole gets drilled for cruise on each model, and what the correct bracket screws look like.

I have some nice comparison pics of the different brackets also.

Tav

screamindriver

Hey Tav
  I'll change the title to contain "N88" for an easier search function in the future..

I know we've discussed the "big block,small block" throttle cable adapter before...Here's something interesting I found at Carlisle this year...70 challenger convertible,383, coded for N88...It had the "big block" adapter...I couldn't catch up with the owner to confirm what parts were original...Obviously some were reconditioned...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: screamindriver on September 16, 2018, 07:22:22 PM
Hey Tav
  I'll change the title to contain "N88" for an easier search function in the future..

I know we've discussed the "big block,small block" throttle cable adapter before...Here's something interesting I found at Carlisle this year...70 challenger convertible,383, coded for N88...It had the "big block" adapter...I couldn't catch up with the owner to confirm what parts were original...Obviously some were reconditioned...

It has a 340 style upper kick down link...

screamindriver

And when you see items like that it makes you question what you're actually looking at...I couldn't catch up with the owner...But it wasn't for lack of trying...Here's more pics there's obviously some detailing issues with the parts but I was more interested in what was there more so than the correct finishes...This was the only N88 car I found all weekend BTW...

screamindriver

more..

screamindriver

Anyone care to guess what this lever was originally ??

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: screamindriver on September 16, 2018, 08:06:03 PM
Anyone care to guess what this lever was originally ??

Likely a C body without tilt.... 

cataclysm80

Just remembered, we also need to include info on the vacuum hook up.
2 nipple check valve with power brakes.

cataclysm80

OK, here's some E body speed control harnesses.

The one on top is original, and is the same harness that's pictured laying on the white posterboard in the very first picture at the top of this thread.  (It came from a 70 Challenger if anyone is curious.)

The one on the bottom is the reproduction that M&H made for me.  It matches the original very nicely.

cataclysm80

One more suggestion...
Maybe we should also add "cruise control" to the name of this topic (by editing the first post).

I know that Speed Control is the proper Chrysler name, but a lot of people who are searching will call it cruise control.

screamindriver

Done... Here's a technical question that I haven't gathered enough info to get the correct answer...A power disc brake car had the complete assembly painted{booster and master} black after being mated.. IF the car was coded for N88 at what point was the bracket added ??? It appears the bracket was added after initial assembly judging by the extra set of nuts..That would lead me to believe the N88 bracket would be natural{plated} with no paint...But most I'm seeing are painted black...

anlauto

Quote from: screamindriver on October 05, 2018, 06:28:55 PM
Done... Here's a technical question that I haven't gathered enough info to get the correct answer...A power disc brake car had the complete assembly painted{booster and master} black after being mated.. IF the car was coded for N88 at what point was the bracket added ??? It appears the bracket was added after initial assembly judging by the extra set of nuts..That would lead me to believe the N88 bracket would be natural{plated} with no paint...But most I'm seeing are painted black...

I just debated that question myself....I would think that it was after they were painted black, because all the booster/master assemblies most likely come from an outside supplier pre assembled, and I doubt they would know which ones to install CC brackets on  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration