Main Menu

Need an aftermarket front speaker for single speaker dash

Started by Ricomondo, September 19, 2019, 01:00:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ricomondo

I recently bought one of Retro Manufacturing's dash speakers and don't like it. Seems to not fit correctly in the dash (too deep)
I was looking at the factory type speakers from Turn Switch. I need to it run with the factory radio ( repaired/restored by Wards with ipod jack) so no high powered stuff.

Anyone have a review on the Turn Switch speaker or have another idea please?
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

ClarkWGrizwald

I went this route- made it 2 speakers.
Well and a pair of 6x9s in the rear- all 4 run off the alpine CD player. Then i added a 600 watt Rockford amp mounted on a box in the trunk holding a 12" sub! It sounds really nice- but i need more mid range up front sp il gonna get a pair of front kick panels from rock auto and mount some pods on them and install some 6.5" speakers in them and then run all 6 speakers off a second amp. That will be just right! And nothing is cut up or changed at all from factory.  Could easily be put to stock .

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

blown motor

I bought a dual cone speaker that fit in the same mounting.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: ricomondo on September 19, 2019, 01:00:31 PM
I recently bought one of Retro Manufacturing's dash speakers and don't like it. Seems to not fit correctly in the dash (too deep)
I was looking at the factory type speakers from Turn Switch. I need to it run with the factory radio ( repaired/restored by Wards with ipod jack) so no high powered stuff.

I went through the same process earlier this year.  Just like you, I ordered one from Retro Manufacturing and then returned it because it was too deep.  I ended up buying this one from Turn Switch and it fits.

Stereo 4" x 10" Oval Dual 3 1/2" - These speakers use two of our 3 1/2" full range speakers mounted on 11ga laser cut steel mounting plate to replace a standard single 4 x 10 oval 4 bolt or football shape 2 bolt speaker for stereo radio applications. These speakers will fit anywhere an original 4 bolt or 2 bolt 4" x 10" was installed including the very shallow Delco applications such as the 1964 thru 1967 Tempest/GTO (4 bolt) or 1970 thru -73 Mopar E-body (2 bolt).  Both speakers have black dust screen installed. Due to lack of low frequency response of the small speakers, this speaker should not be used as the only speaker in a sound system. It is meant as a fill-in speaker and should be used with a larger rear or underseat mount speaker system for full range sound.

Price - $99.95         8 ohm available Size:   10 1/2"L x 4  3/4"W.    1 1/2" deep.   3 1/4" x 6 7/8" mounting centers.

Ricomondo

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on September 19, 2019, 01:25:17 PM
Well and a pair of 6x9s in the rear- all 4 run off the alpine CD player. Then i added a 600 watt Rockford amp mounted on a box in the trunk holding a 12" sub! It sounds really nice- but i need more mid range up front sp il gonna get a pair of front kick panels from rock auto and mount some pods on them and install some 6.5" speakers in them and then run all 6 speakers off a second amp. That will be just right! And nothing is cut up or changed at all from factory.  Could easily be put to stock .

Thanks but this kinda setup wont work with the stock radio, but thanks for posting!
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Ricomondo

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 19, 2019, 02:31:37 PM

I went through the same process earlier this year.  Just like you, I ordered one from Retro Manufacturing and then returned it because it was too deep.  I ended up buying this one from Turn Switch and it fits.

Stereo 4" x 10" Oval Dual 3 1/2" - These speakers use two of our 3 1/2" full range speakers mounted on 11ga laser cut steel mounting plate to replace a standard single 4 x 10 oval 4 bolt or football shape 2 bolt speaker for stereo radio applications. These speakers will fit anywhere an original 4 bolt or 2 bolt 4" x 10" was installed including the very shallow Delco applications such as the 1964 thru 1967 Tempest/GTO (4 bolt) or 1970 thru -73 Mopar E-body (2 bolt).  Both speakers have black dust screen installed. Due to lack of low frequency response of the small speakers, this speaker should not be used as the only speaker in a sound system. It is meant as a fill-in speaker and should be used with a larger rear or underseat mount speaker system for full range sound.

Price - $99.95         8 ohm available Size:   10 1/2"L x 4  3/4"W.    1 1/2" deep.   3 1/4" x 6 7/8" mounting centers.

Was this speaker the only one you used? Reason I ask is in the description it says to not use it as the only speaker. If so, how is it working for you?
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

73_Cuda_4_Me

I'm running a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch P132 3-1/2" speakers mounted to a 1/8" plywood cutout in original speaker shape for mounting. They just clear the dash sub-frame sheet metal on my 73 when mounted to the underside of the plywood, so the grille sits flat in dash.

I have a new panasonic head unit with L/R fronts @ 4 ohms each, but for single 'factory' style, you could series them for 8 ohms single channel.

They have good ratings as one of the top 10 3-1/2" speakers, with adequate bass for normal cruising music...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P86SP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: ricomondo on September 19, 2019, 02:51:38 PM

Was this speaker the only one you used? Reason I ask is in the description it says to not use it as the only speaker. If so, how is it working for you?

At the moment it is the only one I am running.  I had Turn Switch convert my original (broken) AM radio to AM/FM stereo with 4 output channels.  I also ordered two 6x9 speakers from Turn Switch, but I haven't installed these yet.  I'm pretty impressed with the sound using just the front speaker, so depending on what kind of sound you want to get from your radio you might be able to get by with just this speaker.  If you were just planning to run an original AM radio off the single front speaker then I think you'd be good.  If you want to send me a cell phone number by PM, I can text you a short video clip with audio so you can hear it for yourself.

Ricomondo

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 19, 2019, 04:14:31 PM
Quote from: ricomondo on September 19, 2019, 02:51:38 PM

At the moment it is the only one I am running.  I had Turn Switch convert my original (broken) AM radio to AM/FM stereo with 4 output channels.  I also ordered two 6x9 speakers from Turn Switch, but I haven't installed these yet.  I'm pretty impressed with the sound using just the front speaker, so depending on what kind of sound you want to get from your radio you might be able to get by with just this speaker.  If you were just planning to run an original AM radio off the single front speaker then I think you'd be good.  If you want to send me a cell phone number by PM, I can text you a short video clip with audio so you can hear it for yourself.

I believe you! Thanks for the review I just may go with this one. One final question, how do you wire the two speakers to the one (+) (-) wire coming from the radio? Some kind of bridge wire between the two?
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

DeathProofCuda

That one I can't answer for you.  I got my AM radio converted to AM/FM stereo with 4 channel output.  Therefore, my radio no longer has the factory connection to the single dash speaker.  They retained the original power input lead, but the speaker lead was changed to a modern style harness with outputs for four speakers.

If you call Greg at Turn Switch, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you how to do it.  I spoke with him on the phone and exchanged emails with him several times.  Real nice guy and he seems to know his stuff.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Single speaker + wire to first 4 ohm speaker +
Separate wire from first 4 ohm speaker - to second 4 ohm speaker +
Single speaker - wire to 2nd 4 ohm speaker -

:bradsthumb:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Katfish

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on September 19, 2019, 01:25:17 PM

What is the PN/type for those 2 small speakers up front?

ClarkWGrizwald

ClarkWGrizwald

Ricomondo

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on September 21, 2019, 04:43:55 PM
Single speaker + wire to first 4 ohm speaker +
Separate wire from first 4 ohm speaker - to second 4 ohm speaker +
Single speaker - wire to 2nd 4 ohm speaker -

:bradsthumb:

Thanks!
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340