Main Menu

Need Help. Car won't start after charge

Started by Pcut83, February 19, 2018, 08:00:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Pcut83

Hello all. I need a little help with an electrical issue I'm having with my 70 Cuda.  The battery on the car was going bad, so I hooked a charger up to it, and put a trickle charge on it over night.  The next morning, I go to start the car, the interior dome lights are working, but when I turn the key...Nothing.  Car wont even attempt to roll over even though the lights are working on the dash.  I figure the battery is just bad, so I just replace it with a new one. After installing the new battery, the car fires right and everything works perfectly.  This morning, I get in the car to take it work, turn the key and again, nothing.  I pop the hood and check the terminals. Tighten one that was a little loose, and then the car fires right up when I turn the key.  I turn the car back off again, and then immediately try to turn it back on, and the again...Nothing.  Any ideas of what could be causing this?  Seemed the car was working fine until I put the trickle charge on it.  Thanks in advance.

Cuda Cody

Sounds like a bad connection.  Clean the terminals really good on the battery and the wires.   :alan2cents:

And welcome to the site! @Pcut83   :welcome:

Pcut83

Thank you @Cuda Cody.  Yeah, planning on checking all that when I get off work.  Just trying to figure out of plan of attack when I get under the hood.  Incredibly frustrating being at work when something isn't right with car. :thinking:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Clean and tighten all connections. How old are the battery cables?
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Also, check and clean the negative connections on the engine block and the body.   :alan2cents:

Brads70

Ignition switch?  Ballast resistor?  How old are the battery cables? Had mine flat bedded home once due to the green death inside the positive battery cable. Couldn't see it till I removed some of the insulation?

Pcut83

Thanks for the response everyone.  Cable are about 4 years old, so that shouldn't be the issue.  I just need to check all the connections from the battery to starter. Something has to be loose. I just found it odd that I haven't had an issue with this until I hooked the charger up to it. 

71GranCoupe

From what you shared, I would suspect the battery cables. A quick check at the starter solenoid that is on the inner fender and a quick jumper to bypass the ignition switch would also be my first spot to insure power is indeed getting to the solenoid.  If nothing then it is just a process of elimination tracing to the ignition switch.  :alan2cents:

dodj

First clean and tighten all connections. Including the two on the starter itself.
When it is not turning over, do you hear a 'click'? If you do, you are down to battery cable or starter.
If you don't hear a 'click', it could be the ignition switch, start relay, or neutral safety switch.
Check for 12 volts on the yellow wire at the relay to confirm your ign sw is working. If you have power there but still no 'click', try grounding the gnd terminal on the relay and bump the starter. If it turns over, your nss may need replacing or adjustment.
If you have 12 volts on the yellow start wire and the gnd terminal is grounded and the relay still does not operate, replace the relay.
:drinkingbud:

A battery charger can hurt some ignition systems but not the starter cct.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Marc70challenger

Quote from: dodj on February 19, 2018, 12:47:56 PM
First clean and tighten all connections. Including the two on the starter itself.
When it is not turning over, do you hear a 'click'? If you do, you are down to battery cable or starter.
If you don't hear a 'click', it could be the ignition switch, start relay, or neutral safety switch.
Check for 12 volts on the yellow wire at the relay to confirm your ign sw is working. If you have power there but still no 'click', try grounding the gnd terminal on the relay and bump the starter. If it turns over, your nss may need replacing or adjustment.
If you have 12 volts on the yellow start wire and the gnd terminal is grounded and the relay still does not operate, replace the relay.
:drinkingbud:

A battery charger can hurt some ignition systems but not the starter cct.

Perfect steps.   :bigthumb:

Pcut83

When I got off wok yesterday, I found the problem.  The wire going from the starter to the solenoid was almost completely severed.  I'm not sure how that would've happened, but I got it all connected back up and it's starts perfectly now. Thanks again everyone for all the help.   

Chryco Psycho

Glad you located the problem , I assume it was the wire from the relay down to the starter solinoid

Pcut83

71GranCoupe

It is always great o hear of a fix, and easy ones are the best.  :cheers:

RUNCHARGER

Glad you found it. This is a good reminder though that these are old cars and cleaning and checking connections is a good routine to get into once in awhile. I always worry about shorts and fire in collectible cars.
Sheldon