Main Menu

Need help with Neutral Safety Switch

Started by bross1004, January 14, 2020, 02:05:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bross1004

Trying to resolve NSS issues on my 1970 Dodge Challenger. I have a brand new NSS, three prong. I also purchased a new pigtail just to ensure good connection. The middle brown/yellow wire goes to connection "G" on the starter relay like its supposed to. The black and black/white follow their path correctly as well. If i short out the black and black/white at the plug connection, the reverse light comes on. I checked continuity across the two outside pins of the brand new NSS in all gears and its open in all gears. I would expect continuity in reverse as it is actuated to close the loop for reverse lights. Car will not start in any gear. If I add a cable from the "G" point on the starter relay to the negative terminal of the battery like the previous owner had, the car will start in any gear and there is still no reverse lights in any gear. I am out of ideas shy of assuming i got a bad NSS. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dodj

New NSS's seem to be problematic. They are different lengths. If I were you I would first take the switch out and bench test it. Check to make sure the outside pins have continuity when the switch is depressed. Make sure the centre pin has continuity to the 'nub' on the opposite side of the switch. This is the one that completes the ground cct for the start relay.
If it doesn't pass those tests, get another switch.
If it checks fine it means the switch is not being depressed enough to close the contacts for your reverse lights and the centre nub inside the trans is not contacting the steel ground of the rooster comb within the trans.
Most likely cause... #1 switch is too short or #2 not screwed in all the way or #3 pigtail not fully engaged on switch.
:alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Plumcrazy72

I battled with replacing my NSS last spring, I went through 7 new ones and one thing or another wouldn't work. I finally just settled on one that the car would only start in neutral and park but I don't have reverse lights. A friend of mine found an original in his stash that says bench tests good so I'm going to try that one this spring. Hopefully that helps you out
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

chargerdon