Main Menu

No brake lights

Started by nsmall, February 09, 2021, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

My friend has a 73 Cuda with no working brake lights.

Car was restored 10 years ago and both lights recently quit working.

Park lights and indicators work fine.

We ran a test light on both wires on the brake pedal assembly and there is power coming in and out.

The plunger seems to be working fine on the brake pedal assemble.

All grounds are clean and tight.

All fuses are good, however I noticed some of his fuses on the bulk head are smaller than mine (he has more narrow/skinny ones vs mine), I can post pictures.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

dodj

Quote from: nsmall on February 09, 2021, 04:38:35 PM
Car was restored 10 years ago and both lights quit working.
They quit working 10 years ago?!?

Check the connector behind the drivers side kick panel. Maybe a poor connection there.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jimynick

Did you check for power right at the t/lamp socket? If you've got power in and out at the pedal switch, it has to be in the harness running to the rear or it's a ground issue. As mentioned, check the connectors and probe along the harness until you see what the problem is. Easy to say, not so easy to do!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

From the brake pedal switch power goes up the column to the turn signal switch , there it separates into dark green & brown wires IIRC coming back out of the column so you should have power on the white wire up the column but I doubt you have power back out from the turn signal switch .

nsmall

Quote from: dodj on February 09, 2021, 04:51:57 PM
Quote from: nsmall on February 09, 2021, 04:38:35 PM
Car was restored 10 years ago and both lights quit working.
They quit working 10 years ago?!?

Check the connector behind the drivers side kick panel. Maybe a poor connection there.  :alan2cents:

Sorry, I meant just recently quit working.  Thanks

nsmall

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 09, 2021, 06:00:16 PM
From the brake pedal switch power goes up the column to the turn signal switch , there it separates into dark green & brown wires IIRC coming back out of the column so you should have power on the white wire up the column but I doubt you have power back out from the turn signal switch .

Ive read this else where, so its possible to have turn signal lights working, yet no brake lights because the turn signal switch is bad?  Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I believe so , only takes a minute to check it anyway ,
the turn signal is the same circuit going out but is fed from the flasher , the brakes power the lights differently from the brake light switch  so I believe that would be the first place I would check .

1 Wild R/T

:iagree:

1 Wild R/T

Try switching the hazard flashers on-off a dozen or so times... Corrosion on the contacts can cause the brake lights to not work....  Either way your problem is almost certainly in the T/S switch

nsmall

Thanks everyone and thanks @Chryco Psycho

Sorry, trying to figure out how to see if its a bad turn signal. 

With the key off and no blinker or parking lights on, would we use a test light on the white wire where it connects to the rear wire harness and I am assuming when the brake pedal  is touched it should light up?  If it doesn't we can assume its a bad turn signal?

My friend is really talented on rebuilding engines, but he and myself are ignorant about electrical work.

Thanks

nsmall

I think I found the answer.....

Chryco Psycho

No , if you use a test light the white wire should light up when the brake pedal is pressed ,if it does then the brake switch is fine , you need to test the brown & green wires to see if power is returning from the turn signal switch when the pedal is pressed , if no power then the TS switch is the problem .

nsmall