Main Menu

No dash lights. Need help

Started by usraptor, April 19, 2018, 08:04:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to electrical, my knowledge is very limited.  70 Cuda with Rallye dash.  All exterior lights work including turn signals and flashers.  Engine starts and runs fine.  Dash gauges all work including clock.  Interior dome light and door ajar and key buzzer work.  However, I have no dash lights, including the radio light, although the radio and tape player work fine.  I checked the fuse panel and with the key on, all the fuses have power except the uppermost fuse marked instrument which I assume is for the instrument panel lights.  Both sides of the fuse have no power with the ignition and light switch in the on position.  Any ideas about where to look next as to why I'm not getting power to only this one slot on the fuse block while all the others have power?   :help:

Chryco Psycho

Likely the dimmer switch is bad , you should have power to the switch from the headlight switch , it goes through a rheostat to the lights , no lights = bad dimmer , talk to Slotts about repairing or replacing it

usraptor

Thanks Chryco.  Any way to bench test it?

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

usraptor

nsmall

I have no idea where it grounds, but do you have a good ground?

dodj

It  grounds through one screw at the bottom of the bezel.   :alan2cents:

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Adams1stCuda

Though not officially 'restored', mine had the same issue and I took the advice of another person and used some emery cloth sandpaper to clean up all of the contact points while running the switch back and forth...fixed the switch issues.  If this works it should give you power to one side of that accessory fuse.

For me, I then found out that I had an open somewhere from then on.  :tired:

Cratos

can you get replacement dimmers?

Cudajason

Quote from: Cratos on July 03, 2018, 09:38:50 AM
can you get replacement dimmers?

no, but member @Slotts restores them...probably better then new.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.