Main Menu

Noting happens when I try to start my Cuda

Started by nsmall, July 05, 2020, 02:16:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Dome light and tail lights and head lights work. 

When I turn the key over no gauges turn on and the car doesn't turn over.  Nothing happens.

Charged the battery, no luck.

Put it neutral and back into park, no luck.

Battery is in the trunk.

Any ideas what this might be?  I don't think it's the battery.

Starter relay is only 2 years old.  Car started and ran great last week.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

DeathProofCuda

Have you tried to manually jump the starter relay?

BIGSHCLUNK

Connections tight?  I've seen lights work and no starts a few times. Start with the basics..........  :wrenching:

soundcontrol

You need to take a test light or a voltmeter and grab the wiring diagram from here:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/colored-wiring-diagrams-70-cudachallenger/1349/

Start checking if you have 12V on the starter relay, then go deeper.
If lights work, does the ammeter move a little when you turn them on/off, (if it's mot modded, bypassed) if so you have power there,
after the ammeter it splits up to many places.
Does the lights dim or go out when you try to start? if so there might be a bad battery connection somewhere.

nsmall

Thanks for the help guys.   It was in fact something simple.  On the bulkhead connector inside of the car there was a loose wire that was labeled "battery". Wiggled it and presto, back in business.

RUNCHARGER

I would recommend splitting the bulkhead connectors and check each connection, Use contact cleaner and dialectric grease on them all. Are the harnesses original?
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 06, 2020, 07:32:16 AM
I would recommend splitting the bulkhead connectors and check each connection, Use contact cleaner and dialectric grease on them all. Are the harnesses original?

Agree!  :iagree:
A little loose connection in there and your bulkhead connector will melt.
Thants why many people bypass the ammeter.

nsmall

I have all new wiring as of two years ago.  I will work to make sure that battery connection is tighter.  I have the ammeter bypassed.  I'll get some dielectric grease and put some on.  Thanks

RUNCHARGER

Ah okay, it was probably a little loose from the start then.
Sheldon

340Rallye

once in a while mine will do this too. if I push the t handle forward (it barely moves a hair) a little while turning the key it will start normally. no idea what is causing this to happen. I've adjusted the rod and randomly it still happens.

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!