Main Menu

please help with 2 speed wiper motor/wiring

Started by Mickm, January 20, 2017, 03:36:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

Hello all,
I am rewiring the "Redfish" and ran into a problem with the wipers. They worked perfectly before I started my revamp project but soon found that I had removed one of the prongs from the swith back without knowing it. I have purchased a new NOS switch  and wired it in.
Currently, I do not have any movement in the first speed but in the second the motor will turn until it gets to a point where it stops, but you can tell it is trying to keep going but can't.
I removed the wiper arms, and the grill and moved the motor arm around but when it gets to the hard spot it is very hard to get it past.
Can someone shed some light as how I need to progress? I am going to contact AmericanAutowire to double check the wiring this week (the mopar guru was out this past week) to see why I don't have a first speed, but I need to know if this is something I can correct or do I need to replace the motor.
Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

I'm not up to speed on 2 speed wiper motors, but thought that maybe this might help?

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/TSB/2_Speed_Wiper.pdf

Cuda Cody

If your switch is good (and make sure it's a 2 speed wiper motor switch as the 3 speeds / variable are different) then it might be best to test the wiper motor.  Maybe Stephan could chime in and it might be something he can help you with?

http://forum.e-bodies.org/index.php?topic=352.0

Mickm

Hi Cody,
Yes, I am sure I have a 2 speed switch. I appreciate your help.
Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

Wonder if @SF-Resto has worked on 2 speed wiper motors much?  He might have some thoughts on what might be the issue?   :notsure:

Quote from: Mickm on January 20, 2017, 04:03:32 PM
Hi Cody,
Yes, I am sure I have a 2 speed switch. I appreciate your help.
Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm

Thanks for the thought Cody.
In the meantime, I disconnected the wiper arm assembly from the motor. The motor has a hard spot in it where it gets stuck. It tries to keep going but can't, so I ordered a motor this morning.
Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

I think you have a good plan.  Let us know if the new motor works out.   :slapme5:

Quote from: Mickm on January 21, 2017, 11:24:03 AM
Thanks for the thought Cody.
In the meantime, I disconnected the wiper arm assembly from the motor. The motor has a hard spot in it where it gets stuck. It tries to keep going but can't, so I ordered a motor this morning.
Cheers!
Mickm

Passion4Mopars

Have you attempted to bench test the motor to be sure the motor is giving the same results without linkage?

http://www.passion4mopars.com/Bench-Test-Mopar-2-Speed-Wiper-Motors-Concealed-and-Nonconcealed_b_5.html

(Cody if I violated any forum rules, please remove the link)

Cuda Cody

:welcome: @Passion4Mopars   Glad you chimed in!!!!  And please share all the links and information you want.  The more we can help each other, the better.   :clapping:

Passion4Mopars

I'm not real well versed on two speeds, but I have a brain nearby to pick if need be  LOL   Thanks Cody.  Jim texted me the link today, didn't know you were here   :vipermanhiding:

Roadman

Passion4Mopars

Thank you roadman....sometimes you guys need to wiggle me or something, I seem to fall asleep at the bench and miss all the good new forums     :lurking:

Mickm

Guys, thanks for chiming in here as this is eating me up in little bites.
Here's the whole story up to present.

I have rewired the "RedFish" using a American AutoWire kit. Everything seemed to be good with the exception of the wipers. Note, they worked perfectly before I tore the car down.
AAW's kit is set up for a 3 speed motor and mine is a 2 speed.  There  is a plug with two wired (red/teal) that I was told to just not use since my switch didn't have a set of prongs for them.
After discussing with Craig at AAW, we came to the realization that when I pulled the old harness out, I must have pulled one of the prongs from the switch and did not realize it.
I purchase a NOS 2 speed switch that was exactly like the one I had (same part numbers) and it has the missing posts that had us stumped early on.
I installed it per the diagram Craig sent.

Now,when I turned the switch on, the first speed does nothing. The second speed ran the wipers about half way then they stopped, but the motor was still trying to turn. It appears as if they are was in a bind and the wiper bladed were all the way down.

I removed the wiper blades/assemblies and tried again. Now the arms are out of the equation.

Same results.

So I removed the linkage from the motor and tried again. Same result. I could give the motor some help when it bound up, pulling it past the hard spot and then it would make another 1/2 revolution and stop again. All the while the motor would be jumping as if it were in a bind.

Next I removed the motor and tried it out of the car. Here's where it gets really goofy. The motor will run perfectly while I hold it in my hand but if I mount it in the car it stops.

If the metal inserts around the mounting bolts touches the bolts, there are sparts.

I have mounted it without any nuts securing it and it still wont' run, but pull it off and it goes to running.

I have ordered a new wiper motor and it will be here Monday around noon.

Any help or insite will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

Sounds like a ground issue.  From what I'm hearing, once you ground the motor is starts acting funny and not working right?  Correct?

Mickm

That is what I am thinking. However, I removed the metal sleeves in the rubber mounts so they couldn't ground it out when mounted and it didn't make any difference, it still didn't work, but just slid it off and it runs in my hand without it grounding to anything.???
Thanks,
Mickm