Main Menu

please help with 2 speed wiper motor/wiring

Started by Mickm, January 20, 2017, 03:36:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

I think we need to see the wiring diagram for his harness

Passion4Mopars

I think the socket configuration is different on a 72 switch Cody.  I'm looking through photos and two speed harnesses and sockets I have on my desk right now....what a mess

I'm not familiar with the harness he rewired with, I'm still hung up thinking it's something to do with the rewire and a new harness?

Cuda Cody

I'm going to keep thinking about this.  I know we can get this solved.   :yes:  I'll ping Jim too.  He's great with this sort of stuff.   :bigthumb:

A.Gramz

On your switch it should be labeled these pins
A - Goes to pin 2 in connector on Cody motor diagram
B - white acc power
F2 - Goes to pin 6 in connector on Cody motor diagram
P - Goes to pin 5  in connector on Cody motor diagram
H - Goes to pin 1 in connector on Cody motor diagram

It's late at night can somebody pls verify this is correct.  I'm not an expert just from looking at diagrams I came up with this.  Verify before using this layout pls. 

Cuda Cody

Was only able to find 70 / 71 2 speed wiper switches in my extra parts.  My hope was to find a 72+ switch and run some tests so you could do the same and then we could compare the results.  I'm going to sleep on this a day and see if I can come up with other ideas.   :thinking:

Cuda Cody

Here's the photo again so we can look at this on the same page...

Quote from: A.Gramz on January 23, 2017, 08:22:32 PM
On your switch it should be labeled these pins
B - white acc power

It's late at night can somebody pls verify this is correct.  I'm not an expert just from looking at diagrams I came up with this.  Verify before using this layout pls.

Mickm

Thanks for all the help guys, I feel like were making progress.

I am a bit confused on how I know which  pin correlates to which pin on the switch.

B - white acc power

Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

I keep going back to everything worked good before you took the car apart, right?  So you have replaced the motor and the switch now?  Am I still following correctly?  So with 2 switches and 2 motors it still does not work?

Okay, @Passion4Mopars posted a good way to bench test the motor so if you want to do that it would confirm that the motor is not the issue.  Then I can look again when I get home from work for a 2 speed switch to help run some tests on or maybe Jim from JS Restorations will chime it.  But if both of those things check out okay, then it's looking like we have a wire that is the issue.  Maybe a short or a ground?  When I've had issues like this it seems like over half the time it's something to do with a short or ground.   :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Kim and I have been in contact with Jim at JS Restorations and he is working on trying to come up with a way to test and help you.  He mentioned that some of the factory documents that I posted might have some factory errors in the documents so lets stand by and see what he comes up with.  He sent me this photo of him working on a solution!  Jim is a GREAT guy!!!!!

Passion4Mopars

LMAO  I know I'm texting with him now on his "science project" and spaghetti junction he has going there, but he did the same thing for me with a three speed to show what a bad ground will cause in the operation of a three speed/variable speed.

I have a two speed harness on my desk with a wired socket, but I don't know what year the socket is for and I think the pin out might be different from 70 to 72.  I can post it, but I'm not sure it'll help?         :thinking:

Jim, on the other hand, is THE man on any switches.  He's my go to when someone is having motor problems and after a bench test they work...then we've narrowed it down to switch and he has never failed me or my customers.       

Mickm

Cody,
I have replaced the motor (which I don't think was bad 'cause it was working fine before) and the switch. I replaced the switch only after I discovered one of the pins had been pulled out when I disconnected the original plug. However, the new switch is the exact same part number as the one I had originally.

BUT, as I posted earlier, I attached the green wire  at the switch in place of the brown/white strip wire and I do have high speed operation now.

So now, I am just trying to get low speed to work.

Thanks for all the trouble and effort guys, You are awesome!

Mickm

Slotts

Hi Mickm,

I see you are using an aftermarket wiring setup. Here is an edited picture that shows the wiring connections between these two parts without any factory jumper harness, bulkhead connector, etc. This would be the best way to eliminate everything, do a bench test and see how these two parts behave themselves with each other.

The colors on the switch side that match the motor side would be directly connected. I do show the brown wiring path that connects through the resistor before it going to the motor.

If all goes well, we have a solid foundation to build from. Re-install the motor and switch and see if there are any issues previously mentioned that are still occurring. This way we have a narrowed down what else to possibly look for. 

What I had eluded to with Cody via email are conflicts that are in the FSM between model cars and their two speed motor wiring schematics. I think that might be better served showing those in a different thread, at a different time.

I think the purpose of this thread is simply to get your motor issue up and running. Hope this helps.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Mickm

:veryexcited:Good news, it works!!!! :veryexcited:
I tested the motor per the oem instructions. Everything ckecked out.
Next, I checked continuity between each wire and it's corresponding wire at the motor.
I found the  "brown" wire had none!  So I checked and found that AAW's brown/white stripe did.

I switched the two wires, tested and everything is working as it should.

I uninstalled the new motor and reinstalled the original motor and it works perfectly.

Thanks to all of you who took the time and interest to help me get this sorted out.
American Auto Wire should include a wiring diagram in this kit to allow for the 2 speed motor. I plan to send them a photo similar to the 3 speed they show so they can use it.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

WOW!!!!  @Slotts  you are the MAN!!!   :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:  Super glad we have someone like you in the hobby to help us all out.  You're the best! :bravo:

Quote from: Slotts on January 24, 2017, 09:48:53 AM
Hi Mickm,

I see you are using an aftermarket wiring setup. Here is an edited picture that shows the wiring connections between these two parts without any factory jumper harness, bulkhead connector, etc. This would be the best way to eliminate everything, do a bench test and see how these two parts behave themselves with each other.

The colors on the switch side that match the motor side would be directly connected. I do show the brown wiring path that connects through the resistor before it going to the motor.

If all goes well, we have a solid foundation to build from. Re-install the motor and switch and see if there are any issues previously mentioned that are still occurring. This way we have a narrowed down what else to possibly look for. 

What I had eluded to with Cody via email are conflicts that are in the FSM between model cars and their two speed motor wiring schematics. I think that might be better served showing those in a different thread, at a different time.

I think the purpose of this thread is simply to get your motor issue up and running. Hope this helps.

Jim

Cuda Cody

That's fantastic news!!!!   :clapping:   That makes my day to hear it's all working now.  :veryexcited:

Quote from: Mickm on January 24, 2017, 10:08:56 AM
:veryexcited:Good news, it works!!!! :veryexcited:
I tested the motor per the oem instructions. Everything ckecked out.
Next, I checked continuity between each wire and it's corresponding wire at the motor.
I found the  "brown" wire had none!  So I checked and found that AAW's brown/white stripe did.

I switched the two wires, tested and everything is working as it should.

I uninstalled the new motor and reinstalled the original motor and it works perfectly.

Thanks to all of you who took the time and interest to help me get this sorted out.
American Auto Wire should include a wiring diagram in this kit to allow for the 2 speed motor. I plan to send them a photo similar to the 3 speed they show so they can use it.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Cheers!
Mickm