Main Menu

Positive side of Coil

Started by Hood, October 27, 2020, 08:47:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Hood

Other than the Brown wire, do any other wires connect to the positive side of the ignition coil?   
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

Bullitt-

Just Brown per this diagram   
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73BarracudaA.JPG

However I notice they omit the Grey wire to the negative side for the tachometer I suppose because all do not have a factory tach.   

I've noticed you have had issues getting spark. While it's not that common a bad tachometer will ground out the coil so you might want to leave the Grey wire off for a test. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

Positive side is Brown Only , negative side is is black /yellow trace to ECU & Grey Tach wires

Hood

mopar jack

The factory did connect the interference elimination capacitor to  the plus side of the coil.

Hood

Quote from: mopar jack on October 29, 2020, 02:09:05 PM
The factory did connect the interference elimination capacitor to  the plus side of the coil.

Ahaa, there was a black wire with a broken end on the positive side along with the brown wire. After removing my old coil I saw the capacitor but there was no wire coming from it. My radio does have alot of engine static. It's been like that for decades. I thought I had crappy ignition wires.

mopar jack

per the service manual the factory used 3 capacitors to suppress engine interference. One integral to the alternator with the output stud , one at the instrument cluster connected to the voltage limiter and one on the coil.

Hood

I need to get a new capacitor for the coil. That explains the black wire on the coil with nothing on the other end it....it came out of the capacitor.