Main Menu

Power Antenna using Original Antenna Bezel

Started by cataclysm80, September 18, 2017, 06:58:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Power Antennas were never available from the factory on an E body, but I enjoy having one on my car.
It makes having a car cover WAY more easy to deal with.

Previously, I had installed a Metra Antennaworks 44-PW22 which I purchased from Year One.
It's a universal fit that comes with a variety of rubber/plastic bezels to fit different fender shapes.
I mounted it in my 'Cuda on the quarter panel, AAR style.
I located the antenna hole in the quarter panel in the correct AAR location, but all of the bezels included with this antenna require a smaller diameter hole than the factory bezel.  This wasn't a problem for me since I was doing a new installation in the quarter panel, but anyone replacing a factory antenna would need to figure out what to do for a bezel.  (more on that later in this thread)
What I really like about this antenna is that it's just the right height to fit between the top of the quarter panel and the trunk floor, and this very conveniently locates it next to a panel alignment hole at the rear of the inner/outer wheel well, which is an excellent place to fasten a support bracket, so you don't have to drill any extra holes in your car for the installation.
The wiring runs along the passenger side of the car, just like an original AAR antenna lead.
Though I installed this in a quarter panel, it would also have no problems fitting in a fender, you just need to design some kind of support bracket to help hold the antenna.
I've been using this power antenna for 12 years without problems.  I like it so much that I bought another one for my T/A Challenger build.
I have had one problem with this antenna.  Eventually (years) the included bezels get weathered and disintegrate.  I'm sure the bezel could probably be replaced with another from any universal antenna kit.  I haven't replaced mine yet, and it doesn't leak, but I feel like it would crumble if I removed it.  The ideal solution would be to find a way that uses the original style metal bezel.  It would look right for the car, last forever, and allow the power antenna to easily replace an original antenna without worrying about the mounting hole size.

Here's a pic of the Metra Antennaworks 44-PW22 antenna, along with another picture that shows it being test fit into a 70 Challenger.
The red arrow points to where you would bolt the support bracket.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

With the existing power antenna bezel issue I was having, I was pretty excited to hear about Retro Sound offering an antenna that used the original style antenna bezel.
I went ahead and bought one from Classic Industries to try it out on one of my Mopar projects.

6bblgt

recently put a "vintage" eBay purchased power antennae in the factory location on a 40K mile survivor '69 Dart GT

::) not sure what that has to do with anything, but the post worked  :cooldance:

:rubeyes: I think it is a white GTS clone now  :thinking:

cataclysm80

Thanks Dan.   I still can't seem to get my picture uploaded here in this thread, but I think the rest of the forum is working fine for me.
It's odd.

Edit:  I was also having trouble with typing here earlier, but I seem to be able to type ok here now.  Now I'm wondering if it's some kind of problem with the pic I'm trying to upload, though I don't think that would explain text, smileys, & topic titles disappearing from the screen.  It's just a Jpeg like other images I've uploaded, and it's a smaller file size than other images I've uploaded.  Hmm...

Edit Again:  I've uploaded a different picture than originally intended, and that seemed to work.  Maybe I'll just skip that other picture.

Spikedog08

Can you send me the picture in question?  davewitt at earthlink dot net . . . I want to see what the issue is.   :thinking:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

cataclysm80

Quote from: Spikedog08 on September 19, 2017, 06:14:22 AM
Can you send me the picture in question?  davewitt at earthlink dot net . . . I want to see what the issue is.   :thinking:

I tried posting that picture in the picture testing section of the forum just now, and it still didn't work.  Everything else seems to be working fine.
Sure, I emailed the pic to you and Cody.
I noticed that the pic wouldn't preview in my email, but I could download it from the email fine.  Odd, maybe it's just this picture.
It's just a pic of the product, which I saved off the company website.  .jpg, and smaller file size than other pics I've uploaded.

EDIT: Everything seems to be working now.  Proceeding as scheduled.

cataclysm80

Here's what the Retro Sound power antenna looks like next to the Metra Antennaworks antenna.
The two units are not identical, but they're VERY similar.
The main differences are that the Retro Sound antenna has a longer antenna, and a flexible section between the antenna and the motor.

cataclysm80

The Retro Sound antenna was purchased for use on my 70 Road Runner, but before I installed it onto that car, I was hoping to use it to figure out a better antenna setup for my T/A, so that I wouldn't repeat the same aged bezel issues that my 'Cuda has.
I tried test fitting the new Retro Sound antenna into the T/A antenna location.

It would fit, but not near as nicely as the previous Metra antenna.  The flexible portion was awkward, putting the antenna motor 16 inches away from the bottom of the antenna mast, and I didn't see a satisfactory way to create a support bracket, at least not without drilling holes in the car.

Hmm  :thinking:

Maybe I could just install the original bezel with adapter onto my Metra antenna.

Here's an exploded view of how the original bezel with adapter fits onto the Retro Sound antenna.
The adapter has internal threads that screw onto the power antenna, and a flange at the bottom for the rocker bracket to sit on.
Then it just goes together like a regular antenna.

The adapter slides over the black portion at the top of the Retro Sound antenna.
Unfortunately, the adapter won't fit onto the Metra antenna because its black portion is shorter.

The interior diameter of the adapter would need machined to a larger diameter for it to fit over the Metra antenna, and I didn't have the equipment handy to accomplish that task.

Additionally, it seemed impractical to buy a whole antenna just to get this adapter for use on my other antenna.  I wouldn't want to purchase two power antennas for every car that I build in the future.
There must be a better way.

cataclysm80

I also didn't care for the flexible shaft of the antenna while test fitting it on the 70 Road Runner.
I decided to remove the flexible shaft portion of the antenna.

I started by removing the two screws which hold the mast to the flexible housing.
These two screws are directly opposite each other.

cataclysm80

The mast was loose now, but not free.  It was still held in place by the drive cable that makes it go up and down.

I removed the nut that holds the cover on the unit.

cataclysm80

This revealed the drive cable drum, which is where the drive cable is coiled up like a spring while the antenna is down.

The drum is held in place by an E clip.
I carefully removed the E clip, and carefully removed the drum, uncoiling the nylon drive cable.

cataclysm80

Next I removed these 3 screws that were holding this nylon plate into place.

This plate helps to guide the drive cable, and also holds one end of some of the gear shafts.

cataclysm80

Then I removed this nylon roller.  It just lifts out.

The purpose of the roller is to hold the teeth of the drive cable against the drive gear.

cataclysm80

Now that the teeth of the drive cable are not engaged with the drive gear, you can slide the antenna mast with drive cable out of the motor housing.

The mast is now separate from the motor.