Main Menu

Power Window Wiring Cluster F***

Started by anlauto, September 17, 2018, 01:44:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I had a question about wiring and I'm trying to post a picture of page 8-88 of the 1970 Dodge Challenger Service manual.....How do I do that ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

You could scan it, or snap a photo..... Or you could just ask the question..... Or are you familiar with this link....

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1970/70_Dart_Challenger_Wiring_Full.pdf

73_Cuda_4_Me

What operating system are you using on your computer, Alan?
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

1 Wild R/T

anlauto

My scanner is not cooperating, never thought of the photo idea.....be right back...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Okay....you guys are geniuses.....Here's my picture....

anlauto

Okay so here's my afternoon story.....a little background....I'm working on a 70 Challenger for @bpsmopar , factory power window car and it was missing everything. It did come with most of the stuff from a Cuda. Somebody was nice enough to change around some of the wires at each switch in those white plastic clip things in the wiring that came with the motors etc......problem one: that was simple enough to correct.

The  wiring in the dash was missing, so I had Tommy White make a new harness, that's where problem two came into play...on the driver's plug he had three of the four wires wrong in the corrector, just reversed, simple mistake, simple fix, everything else he did for me was great....

But after an hour of fricking around, not being able to figure out why thing weren't working....checking all the wire connections making sure yellow-yellow, pink-pink etc.....WAIT A MINUTE...WHAT THE HECK.....read this diagram again and look at the simple three wire connector.....according to this factory service manual.....yellow doesn't go to yellow....yellow goes to violet....WHO THE F*** CAME UP WITH THAT IDEA ?

1 Wild R/T

I could dig into my car to check wire colors & such but first I can tell you the center connection is a 12V switched power connection.... Are the other three windows working?

At the master switch both leads heading to each window are connected to ground unless the rocker is off center in which case one lead stays connected to ground & the other is fed 12V.....

At the window switch both the outside connections act as a straight pass through from the master to the window motor... Move the rocker off center & the ground side connection remains connected but the power side is connected to the center terminal.....

73_Cuda_4_Me

You are correct Alan! The schematic shows colors crossing... the pink is the only one that stays the same...

For explanation, you are looking at the 'terminal side' of each connector... if the mating connector is above or below, you flip connector to plug it in. What is shown going into bottom right corner of lower connector goes to upper right connector when plugged in.

If connector is left or right, the flip is sideways... top right on right side goes to top left on left side.

Most connections will show same wire number and color doing it this way...

Alan's is one that somebody doing the schematic messed up on...

BS23H3B

anlauto

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on September 17, 2018, 03:32:01 PM
You are correct Alan! The schematic shows colors crossing... the pink is the only one that stays the same...

For explanation, you are looking at the 'terminal side' of each connector... if the mating connector is above or below, you flip connector to plug it in. What is shown going into bottom right corner of lower connector goes to upper right connector when plugged in.

If connector is left or right, the flip is sideways... top right on right side goes to top left on left side.

Most connections will show same wire number and color doing it this way...

Alan's is one that somebody doing the schematic messed up on...

I get how the diagrams work.....but what I'm saying is.....Once plugged together the yellow wire plugs into the violet wire and violet into yellow......which makes absolutely no sense, why Chrysler would wire it that way....The diagram is not labeled wrong either because I had to switch the two wires to make it work after a lot of head scratching  :pullinghair: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

73_Cuda_4_Me

:iagree:

Yes, it is baffling why they would do it that way, and frustrating as well!

Sorry that you have to go through all the hassles to correct it...

BS23H3B

RUNCHARGER

There's another glitch in the 70 Challenger diagram as well. It escapes me at this moment what it is though. Just work it through using Wilds guidance.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.