Main Menu

Quick fuel sending unit question

Started by Joegrapes, August 29, 2019, 12:40:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Joegrapes

Looking on eBay I see two different ebody sending units. One for about $49 and one from Goodmark for about $112. Is there a difference in quality between the two? Anyone have any experience with either of those?

bcudachris

I have not had good luck with the aftermarket senders, 5 different units from 2 different suppliers.  I finally had my 5/16" rebuilt into a 3/8" with a return.

Each of the units I messed with had slight variations in appearance.  4 of them checked out ohm wise checking full, 1/2 and E, but I discovered the resistance change was not linear with arm travel and best I could get with the best one by tweaking the arm had me at all the way to E with 6 gallons left in the tank.  The 6th one (which was the 1st one I received/installed chronologically), I installed without testing.  It stayed on E until you burned half a tank, then jump would jump up to a half a tank and work from there.

I know people have had better or worse experiences than I, but even though I didn't pay for any of the 5 ultimately, I'd prefer that I'd just got mine rebuilt instead of messing around with aftermarket.

JS29

I plan on calling @MoparDave when i am reedy to fix mine. good advice, discount for members, good parts.  :alan2cents: I contact rosevillemoparts.com or @TONY for most ALL my E-Body needs. 

kawahonda

Sometimes NOS sending units appear on eBay....for a very fair price (<$100). That is clearly the best option if you want accuracy.

Even then, some very mild tweaking of the lever may be needed.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Joegrapes

The one I have now is an aftermarket if had for years. It never read correctly. Years ago when I was trying to figure out why it doesn't read right I took it apart and compared it with an old original one. The windings on the aftermarket one will make it read linear but the windings on the original one will not. There is now way the design of the aftermarket one will ever read right. That's what I was wondering, the cheap aftermarket one is not a direct replacement of the original but maybe the expensive one by Goodmark is? Or are they both the same?

Dakota

@Joegrapes - I have a new unused stock fuel sending unit for 3/8" lines that I bought from Roseville.  If you're interested, PM me.  I'm just over by Eastern Hills Mall.   

303 Mopar

I must have tried and messed with 10 aftermarket units and all of them were inaccurate or just plain did not work. Also, all of them leak due to the thin metal lock ring.  You are better off keeping or finding an original and fixing it or replacing just the float and gasket.

bcudachris

303 Mopar

This is why you should keep you original lock ring. Thickness of aftermarket vs original.