Main Menu

Rear speaker balance dilemma

Started by Mrbill426, October 15, 2020, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

:help:  I am stumped...

I have reinstalled the complete dash assembly and new rear deck speakers; nothing fancy, no upgrades, new stock replacement (5) speakers all around and using original wires.  I hooked up a battery to the accessory side of the fuse box to test things out.  The radio works fine for tuning, tone, and left/right balance up front.  The speaker (fader) switch does work to shift power between front and rear but when I use the left/right balance knob on the radio it works the opposite, meaning if I adjust more power to the right it accentuates (correctly) the right front speaker BUT it accentuates the LEFT rear speaker, and vice/versa.   :huh:  All the connectors in the system can only be plugged in one way so there is no way to cross things up, and the rear speaker wires are of such length that you cannot mix left for right.
What am I doing wrong? :clueless:    Or is the fader supposed to work corner to corner like that?

Thanks

Mrbill426

Bullitt-

I've never seen it done that way intentionally... My guess is the wires at one of the plugs have been reversed.. Check the colors as they pass through & see if the rears don't change
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Burdar

If the plugs/connectors are different side to side at the front connection, I'd pull the wires out of the connectors and swap them.

Mrbill426

@Burdar  You mean where the harness connects below the kick panel?

Quote from: Burdar on October 16, 2020, 09:45:41 AM
If the plugs/connectors are different side to side at the front connection, I'd pull the wires out of the connectors and swap them.

Burdar

I don't know how a dual rear speaker setup is wired.  Maybe if you posted a picture of the connections it would be easier to see.  From your description it just seems like the wires that power the RR speaker are hooked up to the LR speaker and vice versa.  Since the wires aren't long enough at the back to physically swap the connections at the speakers, you could swap them around at the front connections.  That might be at the kick panel.  If the connections can only be plugged in one way, then the wires are installed into the wrong plugs.

Mrbill426

@Bullitt- @Burdar thanks for the input guys.  I found a schematic for the speaker wiring in the body manual and compared it to the way it is wired and everything matches for wire colors and connector pin locations.  I can only guess that maybe something has always been "off"; maybe the at or in fader switch which has factory soldered wires.  Have never heard the radio until this week as the speakers were "rotten" when we bought the car in 2003.  I am just going to swap the wires at the connection behind the kick panel and move on.

I appreciate the continuous help I receive here.  :bigthumb: