Main Menu

Rear wiring harness '72 Cuda

Started by Mrbill426, May 13, 2020, 08:51:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Putting the rear lights back in I am wondering where the grounding point is for the rear harness.  I looks like it should be at one of the trunk lock cover screws but I want to be certain and if so is the terminal sandwiched between cover and panel or under the screw head?

How does the harness exit the trunk area; is it through the oval hole in the package tray frame or via another route?

Does the fuel sender wire go in front or behind the deck lid hinge support?

How is the trunk light wire routed to the socket?

Photos help if readily available.

Also taped in-line to the harness are plastic pieces that pop into holes on the body to secure the harness; are these sold separately somewhere?

Thanks a bunch!  :)

Sorry I have no idea why the photos posted sideways  :huh:

:wrenching:

Mrbill426

Hope I posted this on the right subject forum  :huh:

JS29

yes on both accounts!That oval hole is were i put my wire. the fuel gauge wire dose go behind like that. now for the trunk lamp, what i do is fish a piece of mechanics wire down through the left side channel. There should be a hole for it to go through. once through secure the wire to the mechanics wire and pull it through from one end to the other.  :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Thanks!
And the rear harness does ground via one of the lock cover screws?

Quote from: JS29 on May 13, 2020, 02:54:41 PM
yes on both accounts!That oval hole is were i put my wire. the fuel gauge wire dose go behind like that. now for the trunk lamp, what i do is fish a piece of mechanics wire down through the left side channel. There should be a hole for it to go through. once through secure the wire to the mechanics wire and pull it through from one end to the other.  :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Oops I must apologize  :sorry: ; the ground wire is in the loom near the left backup lamp socket while the lock cover is on the right side.  There is a small captive nut in the tail panel nearby that I cannot recall anything being screwed to it so perhaps it is a stand alone for that ground wire? :dunno:
:wrenching:

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 13, 2020, 04:33:44 PM
Thanks!
And the rear harness does ground via one of the lock cover screws?

Quote from: JS29 on May 13, 2020, 02:54:41 PM

JS29

That or the side marker light.  :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

It is a short wire way too short to reach the side marker.  I am thinking it goes to that square captive nut because unless someone chimes in and and tells me what is "supposed" to be mounted there  :dunno: it is all I can figure at this point.

Quote from: JS29 on May 14, 2020, 06:16:52 AM
That or the side marker light.  :alan2cents:

JS29

:yes: Clean off some paint or it will not get a good ground.  :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Oh yeah that's my intent; if I can figure the thread I am going to run a tap through too.  Hopefully I won't discover later that something bolts on there  :Thud:

Quote from: JS29 on May 14, 2020, 12:16:18 PM
:yes: Clean off some paint or it will not get a good ground.  :alan2cents:

Rich G.

That's where I put mine. I think is was a 10/32 thread. Probably not the correct style screw but it works.

Mrbill426

:twothumbsup:

Quote from: Rich G. on May 14, 2020, 01:43:10 PM
That's where I put mine. I think is was a 10/32 thread. Probably not the correct style screw but it works.