Main Menu

Road Lamp Wiring question

Started by usraptor, April 13, 2018, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

1970 Cuda with OEM Road lamps and Rallye Dash.  I have the OEM Road Lamp switch installed below the dash frame and connected to the Rallye Dash wiring harness.  I have the OEM green Road Lamp harness connected to the Road Lamps and run through the firewall under the dash.  However, I can't figure out where to connect the green Road lamp harness to the Rally Dash wiring harness.  :dunno:  I looked at the service manual and that didn't help at all.  Any help/pictures of the proper connection would be appreciated.   :help:

usraptor

Anybody, somebody?   :help:  Looking at the color wire diagrams at the start of the Electrical thread and the wire goes from the road lamps appears to connect to something just before the road lamp switch, but whatever that symbol is doesn't appear connected to the switch.  Then a green wire goes off that symbol and appears to connect to one of the three prong Accessory plugs in the harness, if I'm reading/following the diagram correctly.   I did test one of those plugs under the dash that had nothing plugged into it, however all three prongs were hot when the ignition was turned on so to me that indicates that the road lamp switch wouldn't turn the road lamps on or off as they would be on all the time.   :dunno:  :notsure:

Jim AAR

There should be a Light Green and a Dark Green, the Dark Green goes from the Switch to the Road lamps through the Firewall and the Light Green will go to one of your 3 wire Accessory Feeds. The diagram attached shows the 3 wire Accessory Feed as the one with Black on top, Light Green in the middle, and Black on Bottom. Hope this helps.

usraptor

Jim, I'm a little confused. (Nothing really new for me, especially when it comes to wiring :looney:) Are you saying the green wire that comes from the road lights and runs through the firewall plugs into the three plug accessory fitting or into the road lamp switch itself?  The switch has two short green wires coming off it that plug into the dash wiring harness.  I don't see any open plugs coming off the switch or where it plugs into the wiring harness to plug in the green wire from the road lamps themselves.   :thinking: :dunno:

Jim AAR

Sorry I wasn't very clear on my previous explanation.

The Road Lamp switch will have a plug with 2 wires (both Light Green) which plugs into a another plug coming off the wiring harness that has 2 plugs on it, the 2 wires here will be Dark Green and Light Green. Both the Dark Green and Light Green are fed into into your wiring harness.

The Dark Green wire will exit the wiring harness and go through your Firewall to the Road Lamps.

The Light Green wire will exit the wiring harness and go to one of your 3 wire Accessory Feeds coming off the wiring harness. The diagram attached shows the 3 wire Accessory Feed to use is the one with Black on top, Light Green in the middle, and Black on Bottom.

Hope this is more clear.

Jay Bee

The service manual is terrible, it doesn't even show the relay. The first picture is of a 1970 set-up which you should have. The second picture is for a 1971 BUT it does show the pink 12v male bullet connector going into a red feed plug. If my car wasn't still in storage I'd crawl under the dash and take some pictures for you.

usraptor

Thanks guys.  :twothumbsup:  That gives me a better idea of what to look for.  The picture was especially helpful Jay Bee. Thanks.   :bigthumb: Next time I'm out in the shop I'll try and located the connection.

anlauto

The Road Lamps use a separate wire harness altogether....It doesn't matter if you have a standard dash or rally dash. If you don't have the road lamp wire harness, there's no place to plug in the switch of the green wire from up front.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Thanks Alan,  however I do have the Road Lamp harness.  My Cuda came with road lamps and the the road lamp switch.  However, they were removed from the car when I bought it so I never saw where the two connected. 

usraptor

Found the connection!  Road Lamp work.  :banana:  Thanks everybody for your help.  As always, it's very much appreciated.  :twothumbsup:

Chryco Psycho

Awesome glad you got it solved  :bigthumb: