Main Menu

Roadlamp relay Wiring

Started by CudaHead, November 21, 2017, 02:17:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1970 Road Lamp Relay and switch? The one's I'm finding are the ones for a later years. The 1970 switch only has two leads going to the switch. The diagram's I'm seeing have three leads. The factory manuals don't even show the relay.

CudaHead

Thanks Roadman.
I'm in the middle of installing the three relays for the headlights and the road lamps. I've almost got everything installed. The only thing left is to wire up the switch for the road lamps to use as the trigger. I'm trying to make sure I'm wiring it correctly.

The headlights are working fine on the new relays.

Roadman

Quote from: CudaHead on November 21, 2017, 02:56:11 PM
Thanks Roadman.
I'm in the middle of installing the three relays for the headlights and the road lamps. I've almost got everything installed. The only thing left is to wire up the switch for the road lamps to use as the trigger. I'm trying to make sure I'm wiring it correctly.

The headlights are working fine on the new relays.
Cool, take some pics.

CudaHead

As requested, pictures.

Roadman

Wow, nice relay panel you built. Your Darkgreen from the firewall for roadlamps is 86 trigger to relay underhood.  :banana:  I love wiring.   :veryexcited:

CudaHead

I did not make the relay kit. I bought it from CrackedBack on http://www.cuda-challenger.com/. I fabricated the mounts though. Nice thing about his kit was no changes to the original wiring was needed. He put a plug on the relay triggers that plug into the left side headlight connecter.

crackedback

Quote from: CudaHead on November 21, 2017, 03:59:10 PM
I did not make the relay kit. I bought it from CrackedBack on http://www.cuda-challenger.com/. I fabricated the mounts though. Nice thing about his kit was no changes to the original wiring was needed. He put a plug on the relay triggers that plug into the left side headlight connecter.

Looks great.  Nice install without having to drill on the car.  That's the way I suggest, making a sub-panel and using the existing OEM bolts to hold in place. Some make the panel a smidge taller and use the vertical battery tray bolt to hold the top.   Good job.   

Was the extra Packard 56 plug I sent what you needed?

CudaHead

I working on using that connector right now. I destroyed the old connector getting the wires out. I'll let you know how it works out. A wiring diagram for the 70 relay would of helped.

Jim AAR

I have this, don`t know if it will help though. (See Attachment)

CudaHead

OK. I'm done. Everything is working great now, even the Road Lamps.

crackedback

Quote from: CudaHead on November 21, 2017, 05:09:49 PM
OK. I'm done. Everything is working great now, even the Road Lamps.

Good to read that it's all installed and working well.

Roadman

Just to clarify my statement " There is no relay from the factory "  There is a relay between the roadlamp switch, and the roadlamps. Has 3 terminals. It's purpose is to turn on the running lights when the roadlamps are on. You could unplug it , hit the switch and the roadlamps would still come on. So calling it a roadlamp relay is confusing, as it's not taking any load off of the switch.

Now in 71 it was changed to a 4 terminal. It's purpose was to turn the roadlamps off when the high beams were turned on.

crackedback

Unless I missed it in the manual...  What's sad is the service manual schematic for a 70 Cuda doesn't show that relay anywhere in the circuit.  DOH!!!!

CudaHead

Thanks Roadman. That is the conclusion I came to also. When I looked at the "relay", it appeared that the Dark Green wire, in and out, was on the same terminal. That is why I took the original Light Green connector off the switch and added a new wire. I then wired that to the Accessory Terminal on the fuse block.  I did that because I had the Switch rebuilt but the lamps was still not turning on. I assumed it was the Relay but now I'm not so sure. One of the wires broke when I was rewiring it so I think that may be where the problem was.  Either way, it works now and is only carrying the current for the relay trigger.