Main Menu

Routing for the 70 Challenger front light harness

Started by chal340, February 09, 2017, 11:36:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chal340

I'm going to make a new harness, mine is complelty modified and I'm going to add relays for the front lights.
does anyone have the correct way to route this wiring?
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

Cuda Cody

Here ya go.  It might be easier to buy a new front harness.  The M&H are by far the best IMO for being factory correct and easy to use.  There are other good ones too, but I have had a lot if luck with the M&H ones that Year One sells.

Year One has sales on them all the time.  Hang tight a few days I we should have a code for you.   :fingerscrossed:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/hu208e

anlauto

I agree, if you're making a custom harness, then is there really a "right or wrong" way to route it ? Custom cars have no rules man :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

If you have an original harness I would lay it in. As you lay it in it will become obvious where it goes. Then you can modify it in place to get your wires the correct length and a nice place to mount the relays etc.
Sheldon

Burdar

The wiring runs along the inner fender above the battery and then through a large opening in the rad support.  There are clips welded to the top of the rad support on the front side.  The wiring gets hooked in those clips and runs over to the passengers side.

I bought a headlight relay kit along with a new stock harness for my latest project.  The stock harness was from M&H, the headlight relay kit was from "crackedback".  Is he a member here?  I know he's on other sites CC.com, FABO exc...  I mounted my relays under the battery tray so they are hidden.  I'm also installing a power distribution block under the tray.  All I have to do is run one wire from the battery(or starter relay) to the distribution block.  Then my relays will be hooked up to that.

"Crackedback's" relay kit plugs right into the existing light harness.  With his single headlight kit, it plugs into the existing drivers side headlight plug.  Then all new wiring/headlight plugs are run to each headlight.  I'm sure his Challenger(2 headlight kit is slightly different)  I'll have both the stock harness and the relay harness installed on my car.  Only the drivers side plug on the stock harness will be used.  The passengers side will just be there.  I could cut all that extra wiring out but I don't want to modify a brand new harness.

chal340

In fact, the actual harness is good from the firewall till rad support, after it is modified, cut, some wires are very short....
I know the wiring harness from M&H / YO, I bought the dash harness and engine harness. It's clear that's a very good quality. And I bought them when I was in the USA at the MATS, no shipping to France and no taxes, around 30%.
For the rear light Harness I made a new, I have all for make a new as origine, wiring with tracers, packard 56 Terminals.... and I like to make this.  ;)

Yes for the relays, I'm going to put them under the battery tray with a fuses boxe.

If someone had pics about routing in the fenders to power fender lights and turn lights.

HP_Cuda

As Cody mentioned, I'd buy a new M&H forward harness.

It was very simple to pop in there and route it around, as well the relay kits I hear are a bit short so no need to cut yourself even shorter.

I believe this to be the same on both ebodies and the hole you see the wiring come through is just behind the headlights.

Hope that helps!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

chal340

Thanks,
I'm going to start next week, I will post the result if you want.