Main Menu

Rally’s gauge volt limiter

Started by 73chalngr, September 06, 2018, 06:39:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73chalngr

Is there a difference between a rally gauge limiter and standard gauge limiter ?

Cuda Cody

Slotts

Quote from: 73chalngr on September 06, 2018, 06:39:02 AM
Is there a difference between a rally gauge limiter and standard gauge limiter ?

There is no difference. The original voltage limiters were all the same. I am not a fan of the repops. They do not operate the same as the originals.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

73chalngr

6pack

I just went thru a learning curve on these.  I had 2 burnt gauges on my rallye dash. I ended up using a 5VDC 3 Amp box under $10 on the bay.  I went to the local u-pullit and found one original type and about 8 newer style ones with the 3 male push-on terminals.  They all bench tested good using a digital meter except the original one that was rusted and no good.  I bench tested all using one original oil gage.  The problem is the car the newer type limiters would only work for 2 gauges when the third was connected it would smoke a second and then not work.  That is why I went with the dc step-down one.  When you check a limiter with a digital meter the display goes up and down.  It does not give a true flat 5 volts output.  It fakes the gauge into a 5 volt supply.  I used a resistive decade box and a car battery to check on the bench.

dodj

Quote from: 6pack on September 12, 2018, 07:11:58 PM
newer type limiters would only work for 2 gauges when the third was connected it would smoke a second and then not work. 
Nothing works after you let the factory smoke out....

Old limiters pulse between 0vdc and 12vdc. Averaged over time, it equals 5vdc.
I'm betting the newer limiters you were testing did not have the amp output required for the old gauges to work.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

73chalngr

Has anyone used the rte limiter available on eBay ? If so what is your opinion of it ?

Claudia

Quote from: 73chalngr on September 13, 2018, 07:57:24 AM
Has anyone used the rte limiter available on eBay ? If so what is your opinion of it ?

I have RTE's in my rallye dash and it has been working great so far!

chargerdon

My 66 Charger also had a "mechanical 5v voltage limiter" located inside of the gas gauge.   It also is a puling 0-12/14 volt.. so advertised 5 Volt.   it started to "stick" so i replaced it.   I used a "Ubec 5v/6v" regulator that i bought thru ebay for about $2.50 including free shipping.    (Their normally used in the DC remote control vehicles)  I like it because you can change its output to either 5V or 6V easily. 

On my 66 Charger i set it to 6V otherwise the gas gauge would never show full with a full tank.   Hey 50 plus year old gauges can take a little extra to read.   With it set to 6V my oil pressure shows right in the middle when engine with mechanical oil pressure gauge reads 50 PSI.   Temp gauge will read right in the middle when fully warmed up.. (195 thermostat).  To me 1/2 of 0-12 or 0-14 when alternator is charging is closer to 6v than 5V.   

I wired it so that it sits right behind the ash tray so that i can easily take it out should it malfunction.   its worked well for 3 years now. 

On my 74 Challenger the original voltage regulator is still working ok.   If it goes ill put a UBEC