Main Menu

Simple Wiring Diagram for starting a 383

Started by TripleBlk70, August 06, 2024, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TripleBlk70

I have a 383 BB (with 727 torqueflight) that came with the purchase of my car that I'm not going to be using, so I'm going to put it up for sale.

Before I do that, I want to get the engine running. I'm looking for a super-simple wiring diagram on how to hook up the battery/starter/coil/distributor to make it run. No key just a momentary contact + on/off switch for power and to activate the starter.

Any help is appreciated.

shawge

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Blowout

three two barrels

Looking at this diagram my question is, should the yellow wire from the key to the starter solenoid have power all the time or only while cranking.

My 340 Challenger has no spark at the moment, it does have 6 volts to the coil in both start and run position so where should I be looking to resolve this?

Thanks

Bullitt-

Quote from: three two barrels on August 17, 2024, 04:46:59 PMLooking at this diagram my question is, should the yellow wire from the key to the starter solenoid have power all the time or only while cranking.

My 340 Challenger has no spark at the moment, it does have 6 volts to the coil in both start and run position so where should I be looking to resolve this?

Thanks

Yellow wire only receives power while cranking,
You should be seeing close to battery voltage at the coil while cranking, 6V is not enough.... You probably have a poor connection of the brown or red wire at the bulkhead or the wide wide flat connector along the steering column coming from the ignition switch. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Bullitt- on August 17, 2024, 05:50:13 PM
Quote from: three two barrels on August 17, 2024, 04:46:59 PMLooking at this diagram my question is, should the yellow wire from the key to the starter solenoid have power all the time or only while cranking.

Thanks

Yellow wire only receives power while cranking,
You should be seeing close to battery voltage at the coil while cranking, 6V is not enough.... You probably have a poor connection of the brown or red wire at the bulkhead or the wide wide flat connector along the steering column coming from the ignition switch. 

I thought that voltage at the coil while cranking should be lower, like in the neighborhood of 10 volts?  Chrysler minimum spec was 9.6 volts for cranking a warm engine.

@three two barrels You might find the attached factory Ignition System Analysis tech reference helpful.