Main Menu

Starter Problems

Started by noreastfish, August 08, 2018, 06:18:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

noreastfish

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea or starting point to trouble shoot my car. It's a 1970 Challenger with an automatic transmission. We are in the middle of a move from the east coast to Az. When we shipped the car is started and ran fine. Last weekend when we went to move it to our current location it would not start. we did not get a click or anything. The headlights come on fine, horn works and the battery seems fine. I tried moving the shifter from park to neutral and back but still no luck. I ended up jumping the starter with a screwdriver just like when I was a kid. 
Also the car is an A/C car so I would like some ideas on keep the original equipment and try to fix it or upgrade to newer equipment. I will be needing that in Az.

Thanks Greg

Cudajason

Start by checking all the electrical connections at the bulkhead / firewall and the steering column connector.

If they all look good and are tight, I would try changing the started solenoid and see if that helps.

I have the same issue with my car on an intermittent basis, if I tap the solenoid it seems to work for a while.

Have you tried it since jumping the solenoid.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

If you have a meter, Check for 12 volts on the yellow wire at the solenoid. If you have 12v there, connect a temp ground from the solenoid ground to frame. If the solenoid works, then it is your NSS. If it doesn't work, it is your start solenoid.

(Make sure it is in neutral or park!)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

noreastfish

Thanks I will give it a try this weekend.