Main Menu

Starter Solinoid Issue???

Started by Cudajason, September 11, 2017, 07:00:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Ok guys, I have an intermittent issue and I need some help diagnosing it.

Every now and again over the last few weeks, I have gone out to start my cuda, turn the key and nothing. Literally nothing...no click, engine does not turn, nothing.

The fist time it did it, I popped the hood, wiggled the positive battery wire, tapped the starter solenoid and it fired up.

The last time, it took a little more persuasion.  I also notice that it seemed like there was no power in the key on or Acc position.

I think the issue is the starter solenoid, which is a pretty easy fix.  Do you guys think I am on the right track, or could this be something else?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Skunkworks Challenger

I would start by cleaning both battery connections on each end of the cables (ground and at the starter solonoid) plus the starter connections.

Bullitt-

No power in Accessory position leads me to think about the switch or more than likely the connections.. My '73 charger from time to time would not crank but I could whack the steering column connector & then it would usually crank up, loose/corroded wide flat connector at the column was the culprit.   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Topcat

How old are the cables?

Corrosion creeps in between the outer jacket and the copper and will create resistance.
No visible signs sometimes.

Happened to me before and it was the problem.

redgum78

If you nothing anywhere it is probably not the starter solenoid and more likely bad cables, battery connections etc like others have said. If you have power else where but no cranking it might be your starter or something else in that circuit. Is it an auto? The neutral safety switch will hold out cranking and can often be back yard tested by holding the ignition in the start position while moving the tranny through park and neutral.

If hitting the starter motor seems to help that normally suggest bad brushes rather than a solenoid. The pull in coil on the solenoid earths through the brushes until the starter is engaged. if the brashes are not making good contact nothing happens which is why a little tap sometimes helps as it will seat the brushes on the commutator and make a connection.

1 Wild R/T

Next time it acts up wiggle the bulkhead connectors... Then try to start it...

Chryco Psycho

corrosion in the fuse block or the ign switch could be disrupting power as well

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 11, 2017, 09:32:13 PM
Next time it acts up wiggle the bulkhead connectors... Then try to start it...
:iagree: Either a cable or bulkhead connector. If it was a solenoid you would still have power to everything else. 

Cudajason

Thanks fellas...lots of good info here.

To answer some of the questions, the battery cables are both about 6 years old.  Certainly not the high dollar ones, but I would hope they would last more then 6 years.

Yes its and auto, not sure how old the NSS is, but I think I replaced it a few years ago. I tried starting it in D the other day, not intentionally  mind you, and it would not fire.  Starts fine in Neutral.

The starter motor is a newer mini starter, I do not think that is the culprit as I did not have to tap the starter to get it to go.

The fuse block and bulk heard are both original, so I could see that being part of the problem.  I will keep and eye on them if it happens again.

The ignition switch in the column is about the only thing I did not replace when I rebuilt the column.  I wll check all the connections on that and make sure they are tight.

I will also pull the batter cables and give all the connections a good cleaning.  Hopefully that will take car of it for now.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Burdar

QuoteThe fuse block and bulk heard are both original, so I could see that being part of the problem.  I will keep and eye on them if it happens again.

Don't wait until it happens again.  The bulkhead connector is a known problem area on Mopars.  Pull the connectors out of the bulkhead and give them a good cleaning.  Check for loose connections and signs of getting hot.  If everything looks OK, then reassemble with some dialectic grease on all the connections.

RUNCHARGER

I have to agree: With these old Mopars I always pull the bulkheads apart and go through them as regular maintenance, It's just a good idea and you might prevent a fire.
Sheldon