Main Menu

Title lamp staying lit all the time 71 Challenger A01 light package

Started by DamianC, February 11, 2020, 06:09:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DamianC

Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice.

I am doing some electrical work on my 71 Challenger. None of my illumination lights were working due to my dimmer switch having a dirty contact and several blown bulbs. Once I had cleaned the switch and changed a few bulbs, I was able to get all my dash lights working, as well as map and glove box lights. But, the title light that sits above the dash switches on the left of the gauges will not go out. It stays lit constantly. Am I right in saying that it uses a delay relay? I can see where it connects to a small silver relay (similar looking to a flasher relay) under the dash, and if I disconnect that, the light goes out. Are they known to fail, or could there be another issue that prevents it from switching off? I assume that it should go out once the ignition is switched off and you have got out and closed the door? It looks to be the original item. My car has the A01 light package I believe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

The light over the headlight switch obtains it's power from the delay harness and also powers the Map light by the passenger's feet. 
It's tied into the 3 prong ground switch by the driver's door at the yellow wire with a black tracer.

The timer has no power  until you hook ground to that wire as long as the pink wire is hot.
If the light doesn't come on within 3 to 5 seconds the timer is bad!
:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

DamianC

Quote from: 340challconvert on February 12, 2020, 04:20:41 AM
The light over the headlight switch obtains it's power from the delay harness and also powers the Map light by the passenger's feet. 
It's tied into the 3 prong ground switch by the driver's door at the yellow wire with a black tracer.

The timer has no power  until you hook ground to that wire as long as the pink wire is hot.
If the light doesn't come on within 3 to 5 seconds the timer is bad!
:wrenching:

Thanks for your advise.

340challconvert

Went looking for a timer relay.
Man; prices are mild to wild ($35 and as high as $95)
:takemymoney:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Joegrapes

After reading your post on the title light I went out and checked mine. If I open the door the light turns on. After I close the door it takes about 15 seconds for the light to turn off.  Just how is the title like supposed to work?

DamianC

Quote from: Joegrapes on February 26, 2020, 02:59:59 PM
After reading your post on the title light I went out and checked mine. If I open the door the light turns on. After I close the door it takes about 15 seconds for the light to turn off.  Just how is the title like supposed to work?

Sounds right to me.