Main Menu

Under Dash Wiring Harness

Started by Daveh, September 07, 2018, 06:34:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

He guys,

You all convinced me to get a new under dash wiring harness which I did and I'm glad I did mine was spliced up so much I'm surprised there was no fire.  Anyway I have few questions which I will keep in separate posts just to keep them straight.

I labeled things pretty well but because of so much splicing from the previous owner I need a little clarification.

First question. In the first pic you see the old harness fuel wire I'm guessing relay spliced into the harness (not sure).  In the same location on the new harness I have 3 wires.  But the pigtail in the old one has 2 wires coming off of the end (black and blue) and the new harness doesn't have that.  Can someone explain what's correct or what to do?  Thanks

Cuda Cody

Ralley gauge

Daveh

Thanks Cody I'm sure I'm not going to use them all because of the aftermarket gauges but I do need to figure out the fuel wires so I can hook them up to my aftermarket gauge.

Thanks
Dave

Daveh

Claudia

Are you working on a standard or rallye dash?

Daveh

It's a standard dash that I redid, see the pics below. 

chargerdon

On a original non rally dash you have a 12 Volt switched power into the voltage regulator.   Depending on year the voltage regulator also will have a capacitor connected to either post that's part of the power in connector or onto a separate male post.   

Then you have the 5 Volt power out which is NOT part of the harness, but simply a two wire output...one goes to the power side of the gas gauge, and one goes to the power side of the temp gauge.   There is no oil pressure gauge and there was an ammeter with the black and red wires.   So only the gas and temp gets the 5v power from the regulator.   Here is a picture of one out of the car.

note...   the gas sending unit wire is dark blue and goes on the post so marked (left side of gauge)..the power wire is the light blue one from the voltage regulator.  While the temp gauge gets the violet wire from harness.   

(73-74 challenger)

Claudia

Quote from: Daveh on September 10, 2018, 12:57:41 PM
It's a standard dash that I redid, see the pics below.

Got it . . . sorry, I will be of little help . . . I did a factory rallye in my car.

I am not sure of the differences between the two.