Main Menu

underhood interlock starter switch

Started by CU-DUH!, November 14, 2020, 06:49:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CU-DUH!

Does anyone know if this part is even available anymore? I know i can bypass....

anlauto

Might be able to find something NOS if you can come up with the original part number :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Topcat

I don't recall seeing this before.

Can I get an explanation?
What does it do and where on car.

Looks to be near starter solenoid. 

anlauto

Quote from: Topcat on November 14, 2020, 10:06:20 PM

It's a 1974 thing only, I believe the car won't start unless the seat belt is done up first. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

HP2

Quote from: anlauto on November 15, 2020, 04:57:27 AM
Quote from: Topcat on November 14, 2020, 10:06:20 PM

It's a 1974 thing only, I believe the car won't start unless the seat belt is done up first. :thinking:

Correct.

I have one in my 74, but it looks different than that one. Mine is more square and has a shorter button that has a rubber cover over it.

cuda hunter

I believe that there is also a weight sensor on the drivers seat that acts with the seatbelt interlock.
Both have to be activated to start the car.
My 74 charger has that.  Terrible system. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

here is the interlock on my 74 charger. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Here you can see the interlock in the upper left of the firewall. 

cuda hunter

The little button on the top is to reset the system as apparently it needs it sometimes. 

Disable it.   Leave it in the system if you like the looks of it, but disable it so it's not a pain in the rump.
I believe they discontinued this option in only a few years time.  PITA

HP2

That's what my Challenger switch looks like. On E bodies they put it on the drivers side fender. I grounded my starter relay so I don't have to depend on the switch. Yes, there are sensors under the seats and in the seat belts.

The presence of this switch actually is how I was able to negotiate a lower price on my Challenger. Guy I bought it from wasn't aware of its function and couldn't start the car for me. Of course the price had to drop as a result. He also told me it had no springs in the front end either, which is why it sat so low, as he did not know what a torsion bar was.  Some people simply shouldn't own Mopars.

CU-DUH!

anlauto

Quote from: D318 on November 29, 2020, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 14, 2020, 09:58:05 PM
Or send it to Jim Slotts...

jim slotts? please ...more info ..Thx

Jim Slotts does excellent restoration work on everything Mopar electrical https://jsrestorations.com/  :twothumbsup:

Skdmark

@Slotts

JS Restorations for switch rebuilds and restorations.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

CU-DUH!

cool, thanks!! this site is the BEST!!