Main Menu

Volt regulator issues ?

Started by Racer57, January 29, 2018, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Redline converted my amp gauge to volts. At idle its at center 12-13v  but at 1,000rpm it almost pegged near 16v. (Volt gauge uses Amp gauge face, so not enough lines to show exact volt) Was pissed off.  :pullinghair:  Calmed down and checked volts at battery with ignition off... 12.8v, then start car and its 14.2v at idle and at 1,000+ rpm it goes to 14.9v  Called Redline and they said regulator is messing up. Which I'm now starting to agree with.

Does it make sense for a faulty reg to be consistently 1 volt high ?

dodj

First make sure all your connections are clean. Primarily bulkhead connector. But any connection on the charging cct to the battery. High resistance connections can 'fool' the regulator into thinking it needs to up the alt voltage output.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

BIGSHCLUNK

I have a very similar issue.... burnt terminal at the firewall block

Brads70

Make sure VR is grounded to bare metal.

Racer57

Thanks for the responses. I've never taken the bulk connector apart, so I'm pretty paranoid about doing it. So, I might skip that until last resort. I will check everything else out though.

BIGSHCLUNK

That's something you want to address if there's an issue.... 

dodj

Quote from: Racer57 on January 30, 2018, 08:42:36 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've never taken the bulk connector apart, so I'm pretty paranoid about doing it. So, I might skip that until last resort. I will check everything else out though.
With all due respect, not a great plan of action. The B/H connector is a major weakness in the electrical system. I'm just talking about removing the connector from the engine compartment side (by squeezing the two tabs) and ensuring the connectors are clean. If they are not, clean them.
Not to difficult for a farmer to pull off....lol.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

A.Gramz