Main Menu

Voltage limiter

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, August 31, 2019, 06:02:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chaos-N-Mayhem

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Jay Bee

Vans Auto also sells one. Their version has no terminal for the capacitor/condenser. I metered one of theirs and it's a consistent (non-pulsing) 5 volts.
https://vansauto.com/product/voltage-limiter-solid-state-ivr3/

chargerdon

In my 66 Charger, i modified its internal voltage regulator using a UBEC 3a 5v switchable 6v voltage regulator.  When i bought it on Ebay back in 2018 they were going for as low as $3.97 so i bought two of them.   On my Charger i found that the 6V setting gave more accurate gauges than the 5V.  (Note: the original mechanical pulsing isnt really 5V put pulsing 14V when engine running and half of 14 is closer to 7 not 5. )  You do not use the condenser with it either.   Works great it even has a small LED light on it to show its being powered and it is inexpensive.    Right now on EBAY their going for $6.97 with free shipping.   Just search for UBEC 5v/6v.   

PS...i wired it in with long leads to the back of the ash tray area in the dash...so that...IF it were to fail i could replace it easily, AND if it failed HOT..i.e not reducing the voltage i could disconnect it quickly to save my gauges from burning out.