Main Menu

What company made the 70-71 Road Lamps?

Started by FSHTAIL, September 21, 2017, 02:26:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I'm doing some research on the Road Lamps. 
Can you help with the make/brand of the housings?
I know they're not made by Chrysler.

I know the bulbs were made by "GE" and labeled "Fog"
Thanks. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

Quote from: anlauto on September 21, 2017, 03:57:09 AM
Maybe @mccannix knows ? :thinking:
No,... maybe Mike Ross knows.
He was involved in an exact reproduction of the housing with script.
Actually the housing is identical to the 68 Ford Mustang fog lamp housing except for the stamped script SAE-70B with pentastar and CC on the rear.
Chrysler had their own bezel manufactured with part number 3403846 cast in rear, unlike the Ford chrome bezel with the horizonal bar.
Ford started using fog lamps in 1965 but the rear wire and plug were higher up on the housing in 65-67.
I believe Ma Mopar liked the look and contacted that supplier and had their script stamped in the 68 style housing for use beginning in 1970.

HEMICUDA

Quote from: mccannix on September 21, 2017, 05:00:13 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 21, 2017, 03:57:09 AM
Maybe @mccannix knows ? :thinking:
No,... maybe Mike Ross knows.
He was involved in an exact reproduction of the housing with script.
Actually the housing is identical to the 68 Ford Mustang fog lamp housing except for the stamped script SAE-70B with pentastar and CC on the rear.
Chrysler had their own bezel manufactured with part number 3403846 cast in rear, unlike the Ford chrome bezel with the horizonal bar.
Ford started using fog lamps in 1965 but the rear wire and plug were higher up on the housing in 65-67.
I believe Ma Mopar liked the look and contacted that supplier and had their script stamped in the 68 style housing for use beginning in 1970.

Thx Terry, yes, those were the ones I had made.  If you want the same lamps I supplied to MOPAR that were sold thru the Chrysler dealerships, I do have some left.  The price is $195 for the (pair) assemblies, I also made the clips that hold the green wire to the core support (x4 required). 

Shane Kelley

Those look like PG Classic's.   But hard to say for sure.

anlauto

PG Classics and Mike Ross (BE&A) use the same manufacture on some of their reproduction parts.

I believe the original poster was asking who manufactured them back in 1970 -71  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

mccannix

Quote from: anlauto on September 21, 2017, 05:59:46 AM
PG Classics and Mike Ross (BE&A) use the same manufacture on some of their reproduction parts.

I believe the original poster was asking who manufactured them back in 1970 -71  :dunno:
I dont think you'll find the script on PG Classics lamps but you will on Mike's.
Kramer had the first repros done years back but I believe none of the repros other than Mikes will have the script.
Dont think we'll ever know who the manufacturer was but I'll still bet Chrysler got that info from Ford and went from there.

anlauto

Yes, I should have stated that. BE&A parts have licensed Pentastars with parts numbers, where PG Classic's do not.

FSHTAIL

Besides the 60's Ford's.       
What other vehicles used this style?

Has anyone ever found a bulb conversion kit for them to run a H3 bulb or something like that?      Similar to that of a 7" H4 conversion. 

61K T/A

In the pic is the housing supposed to touch the bumper? Is that how it came from the factory?

HEMICUDA

Quote from: 61K T/A on September 23, 2017, 03:27:13 AM
In the pic is the housing supposed to touch the bumper? Is that how it came from the factory?

On rubber bumper cars, yes, the road lamp is very close.  The rubber bumper is a stock steel bumper covered in rubber material making them thicker.

FSHTAIL

Is there a web page that shows the correct look of an original 70 Road Lamp?

I found a cheaper repop made for a Mustang with a crossbar delete bezel.

Made by Scott Drake
Part number for the housings (no bulbs)
C8ZZ-15200-SPEC

Bulbs are dirt cheap for new old stock.   
They commonly used these for oven ranges, outdoor lighting and aircraft.   

My oven exhaust vent has the same GE FOG bulbs in them as the Cuda Road Lamps but in a lesser wattage.   

This is why I'm taking such an interest in this. 

PAR36 just means the shape and diameter.  (4.50")

Stock OEM road lamp bulbs are GE brand GE 4415 a.k.a. PAR36 (35 watt)

If you want to kick up the juice, you can also get an OEM look in a 50watt
GE 16542

12v 100 watt for aircraft. 
GE 4509

There are lots of LED options that have a semi stock look if you want to relieve the ol electrical system. 

fc7cuda

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on September 27, 2017, 03:07:13 AM
Is there a web page that shows the correct look of an original 70 Road Lamp?

I found a cheaper repop made for a Mustang with a crossbar delete bezel.

Made by Scott Drake
Part number for the housings (no bulbs)
C8ZZ-15200-SPEC

Bulbs are dirt cheap for new old stock.   
They commonly used these for oven ranges, outdoor lighting and aircraft.   

My oven exhaust vent has the same GE FOG bulbs in them as the Cuda Road Lamps but in a lesser wattage.   

This is why I'm taking such an interest in this. 

PAR36 just means the shape and diameter.  (4.50")

Stock OEM road lamp bulbs are GE brand GE 4415 a.k.a. PAR36 (35 watt)

If you want to kick up the juice, you can also get an OEM look in a 50watt
GE 16542

12v 100 watt for aircraft. 
GE 4509

There are lots of LED options that have a semi stock look if you want to relieve the ol electrical system. 

Good Info. Thanks for posting this.  :bigthumb:

61K T/A