Main Menu

What exactly does the ECU do

Started by tparker, June 09, 2021, 10:53:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

OK, my ignorance is showing here. LOL. But what does the ECU actually do? Probably something obvious I should know, but I'm at a loss. And I am assuming it isn't needed for electronic ignition, correct?

Thanks

Burdar

With points ignition...
When the points are closed, electrical energy flows from the battery to the coil to ground.  A magnetic field is created in the coil.  When the points open, the ground is lost.  The magnetic field collapses and a spark is sent to the point of least resistance...the distributor.

With electronic ignition...
The pickup coil in the distributor sends a signal to the ECU.  The ECU opens the circuit to collapse the magnetic field.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

tparker

OK, Thanks. So I wasn't as off as I thought. However, I assumed the 70 challengers had points AND the ECU. Mine had a Mallory electronic distributor so I didn't have to mess with points and it's been a while since I tore everything down. I'm reviewing stuff as I put it back together. 

OK, I see now, I think. I was looking at this diagram in the tech section https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/TSB/Electronic_Ignition.pdf and closer review said this was a change in 71. I missed that part, guess I should read the words instead of just the pics. LOL. So, originally the 70 Challenger, and Cuda(?), didn't have electronic ignition or ECU.

Chryco Psycho