Main Menu

Whoa, this can't be good

Started by DodgeGuy, April 21, 2018, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DodgeGuy

So as I am getting ready to install my new engine wiring harness I decided to take off the spark plug wires and distributor cap to get things out of the way, and also to inspect things as this car is still new to me. When I took off the distributor cap I found this. The reluctor is coated in an orange/red and also white powder ALL OVER it! It's on all sides, all around, top to bottom. What is it? What causes it? It has to affect how it runs correct? Is the reluctor steel or aluminum because it doesn't seem like rust. It's an MSD distributor FWIW.  BTW, the parts that look "shiny" are actually the parts coated in white powder, they are not "clean, shiny metal".  It's hard to tell that from the picture, so I wanted to clarify.  I searched for a picture of what it looks like new, and it's a very shiny metallic.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

71-440

MSD distributors are well known for the corrosion on the reluctor and pickup. I had the same thing.
Clean it up with a tooth brush. Should be fine.
Joe

Chryco Psycho

I was going to say that is not even a Mopar dist . Not good for sure  :bye:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 21, 2018, 10:00:37 PM

Chevy advance & Ford reluctor & pickup...Bolted in a Mopar...

DodgeGuy

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 21, 2018, 10:00:37 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking a former owner purchased some type of "MSD Ignition Kit", because it has the MSD coil, MSD 6al ignition box, and this MSD distributor.

FWIW, I've been researching this, it does seem to be common as 71-440 stated above, and it evidently is rust.  I'm curious as to what the whiteish stuff is too, although there is FAR less of that stuff.

According the stuff I've found, MSD says it's "harmless", but yet they decided to apply zinc coating to all those manufactured after 2009, so that's interesting.

I can't believe having that rust all over the reluctor wheel, not to mention all the other internal parts in the cap, wouldn't affect performance.

I guess we'll see after I figure out what to do with it (beyond just cleaning it up).
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

Chryco Psycho

Cannot hurt to get it cleaned up for sure , thin layer of grease would not hurt either

Brads70

I have a buddy that bought an new MSD distributor and didn't use it or open the box for a couple years. When he did it was all rusty. This was 15 years or more back?  I told him it likely wouldn't matter anyhow as he was putting it in his 78 Corvette and it wouldn't keep up with a Mopar anyhow !
:D   He complained to MSD and they did replace it or replaced the parts..... can't remember which?

gzig5

This is a common issue when manufacturers take shortcuts and don't do the post-plating passivization correctly or the plating bath is contaminated and they just keep using it.  I'd suggest an application of dialectic grease and then wipe it off, or Renaissance wax.

My new MSD has been in the box for 4 years with the dessicant pack and still looks perfect.
The white powder sounds like the substance that occurs on battery terminals.

DodgeGuy

Just out of curiosity, could I convert back to the OEM distributor, or another aftermarket distributor?

I mean, I know I can, the question is should I given the fact that this car is equipped with an MSD 6al Ignition Box and the Blaster coil.  Would either the OEM distributor or another brand "sync" with the MSD box and coil?  My apologies if that sounds stupid, but I'm learning exponentially here.

Would the OEM distributor give enough "kick" given the MSD box, the MSD coil, the Holley 770 CFM Street Avenger carb, the aluminum-high rise intake, the aftermarket cam, the headers, etc?

Dang, it seems like for every question I get answered I have 5 more.  :thinking:
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

1 Wild R/T

If your not going for a visually stock engine just clean it up & use it... MSD systems do work well... Just apparently some rust.....  I haven't seen much rust here but the climate here doesn't promote rust ..

RUNCHARGER

A Chrysler dist. will work fine with what you have but I agree just clean it up and go for it again. The MSD stuff is popular but I use Chrysler distributors with MSD boxes and coils now (I keep a spare box and coil in the glovebox now though). I'm old and miss the Direct Connection days when $100 bought a brand new distributor and quality chrome box that you could count on.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 22, 2018, 08:13:06 AM
A Chrysler dist. will work fine with what you have but I agree just clean it up and go for it again. The MSD stuff is popular but I use Chrysler distributors with MSD boxes and coils now (I keep a spare box and coil in the glovebox now though). I'm old and miss the Direct Connection days when $100 bought a brand new distributor and quality chrome box that you could count on.

I was at a buddies house the other day, he showed me a receipt he'd stumbled across.... 1978, Hughes Dodge, DC ignition kit, $64.00...

DodgeGuy

Thanks guys!

With all the money I'm shelling out right now (which is fine), I'd rather not have to buy a new distributor.  The only reason I was considering it was because after researching this issue, it seems that the rusting will come back.

I think I'll clean it up for now, and then see if MSD will treat it come November when I put it storage again. If I send it to them now, I'm afraid it might take quite a while to get it back, and with "cruisin'" season coming, I don't want to risk it.

As it is, I have to get this wiring back together!!
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

1 Wild R/T