Main Menu

Windshield Washer Pump Wiring Question

Started by Gary AAR, May 08, 2020, 07:32:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Working on the restoration of my 1970 AAR Cuda, I came across the short (6") pigtail extension wiring harness that feeds power to the windshield washer pump.  The short extension wire goes between brown power feed wire that is part of the original engine wiring harness and the windshield washer pump.  My question is should this short extension harness be there (is it original equipment)?  I am assuming it was something somebody added in at some point, but it does have old original style connectors.  Not sure if there was a routing issue that prompted someone to install the extension wire.  The engine is currently out of the car, so I can't confirm harness routing.  I did check to confirm the the brown wire that is part of the original engine harness does connect directly to the the washer pump without using the short extension wire.  See attached picture taken prior to car disassembly that shows the short extension wire installed between the brown wire of the engine harness and the washer pump.
Thanks in advance for the help and input.

Bullitt-

I believe it is OE based on info I read recently in our Facebook group
  I've pasted the text below, photos in this link as well

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3587709661255622&set=pcb.3328685193843626&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARC3T8Tqd-Ulo_uhwnL7twqcYnV2wQtl9-W-EF8oPmLAJ2W9pNov-hq1UzjczYI6IjK64iRj25THrEjQ

"Okay here's one those small details 99% of people could care less about but I thought I would share it. Basically re-production electric washer fluid pumps aren't even close to Assembly line parts, even Mopar changed the design because the fluid outlet is pointing down and you have to kink your fluid hose to get it to fit. I had an original I sent to Jim @ JS Restoration just to see if he could reuse the Brass end and attach a new ground wire. I didn't care if it worked (Which it does). Jim had an original unmolested assembly line part and used that to not only get the ground wire length correct but he also made me a pigtail extension for the hot wire just like on the assembly line part. it looks like the hose had an extension and a connector so the assembly line worker could easily plug everything together in a quick and efficient manor without having to reach down and hook everything up. The 3 picture with the white background are of my original next to Jims Factory line part. The others are a comparison between the reproduction parts and original. Jim informed me the housing were bare metal, no plating or paint. Just another one of those details I'm trying to get right on my restoration, Enjoy the pictures."

OOPS ... I highlighted the wrong text, fixed now..
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Wow..that is interesting. I never seen anything like that. I agree it looks original, but for what purpose ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jim AAR

I'm thinking that sometimes the wire for the pump was too short when they hooked it up on the line and rather than remove the entire wire, they had an extension on hand that they could use....  :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Is the connector end of the original brown power feed wire a perfect plug-in match to the pump's motor, or will the original wire not plug into it?  Meaning is that wire a adapter?

Floyd

There's a crap ton of info on washer pumps here:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/265403/1.html

It takes some patience wading through it since the older posts require you to click on each image. 

I personally believe the side exit is correct for 70-71, but there is some good info here pointing to it being a late-70 to 71 thing.  The extender wire is new to me.

Also, I disagree on the non-plated barrel.  Every example I have seen (original and NOS) is yellow/gold cad plated.

76orangewagon

Really ...here's two assembly line original's and no plating...NOS counter parts YES, these NO.

anlauto

The only pumps I've dealt with have always been rusty, hard to tell if a plating was ever present. I guess to be 100% certain one would have to disassemble the pump and see if the housing has plating on the inside that survived  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

76orangewagon

Jim @ JS Restorations confirmed there was no plating present. hard to argue with his inspection and knowledge.

anlauto

Quote from: 76orangewagon on May 08, 2020, 11:15:56 AM
Jim @ JS Restorations confirmed there was no plating present. hard to argue with his inspection and knowledge.

Couldn't agree more :worship:

I just looked for an old one around here to take apart  :lurking: couldn't find any

fc7cuda

Quote from: 76orangewagon on May 08, 2020, 10:33:11 AM
Really ...here's two assembly line original's and no plating...NOS counter parts YES, these NO.

Do you recall which year these are from?  Both appear to be side discharge.  Thanks

Mrbill426

I snapped these photos today of mine.  It is a '72 built in early April.  The ground wire is permanently attached the the motor and one of the tank mounting holes.

Floyd

Here's an NOS part with an extender cable.

JS29

Floyd

No access to a microscope, but this looks like it could have remnants of plating to me.