Main Menu

wiring diagrams and seat belt interlocks

Started by HP2, March 11, 2019, 11:30:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

As some of you may know, and others probably don't, the '74 model years came with a seat belt interlock system that would prevent the car from starting without the seat belts being latched. It can be overridden by grounding out the relay, which I have done for decades.  However, now that I'm doing some refurb work, I'd like to get rid of the system entirely. Remove the relay, module, belt and seat switch, etc.   Has anyone done this and what are the pitfalls of pulling it all out?  Another possible consideration, since I assume the belt interlock is  similar to a clutch switch or neutral safety switch, can it be wired into function with either of those if it can't be removed?

Along the same token does anyone have access to a practical wiring diagram and layout? I do have a FSM, but by '74 the diagrams had all evolved into a bunch of coded wire colors and locations. A schematic is great for troubleshooting circuits, but its a bit rough identifying each wire, flipping back to the code sheet, and then finding it in the wiring/plug legend, and then tracing it through the schematic. Plus, as an a/c and light package car, I've got any number of misc plugs and wires hanging in areas that I have no idea what they belong to.

dodj

I don't have a schematic but I don't think it will be more than soldering the wires together that the relay would have 'closed' for you, and removing all the wires that led to the 'coil' wiring of the relay. Again, I've never seen the wiring, but I don't think they got into too much 'anti-tamper' back then?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

HP2

I've got the schematic and bulkhead pin outs. Will start removing devices and wires and see where that takes me.

HP2

Anyone have a source for harness tape/wrap? Or a source for smooth, split, wrap, plastic or otherwise? Not a big fan of the corrugated stuff.

How about a source for the OEM style connector pins?