Main Menu

wiring harness meltdown..

Started by chargerdon, July 14, 2018, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Ok...   took dash gauge cluster out...   measured volts at ammeter both sides...and got battery voltage with key off.   With key on Battery side showed 11.75 volt and alt side showed 11.5   so some .25 volt loss here. 

Also bit the bullet and pulled the bulkhead connector off on passenger side.   Glad i did.   The Battery wire looked real good, but, the alt (black wire) showed several spots were the insulation was melted off, and one spot where it and the Run wire wire partially fused together.   Ill bet there was some loss there also.. 

Also, the windshield wiper wires were a mess !!  (it still worked but could have been part of the problem).    Pulled the alt wire out of harness and taped it up good...  (left it out as doing the ammeter bypass it wont be needed).   Repaired the wiper wires with tape and two new connectors..

Also taped up the "run" wire.

Removed ammeter (bolted the two leads together) and lots of tape...   and put in a voltmeter in its place..power fed from an accessory lead and ground to dash board.    (had to cut out the back of the gauge dash to make the voltmeter fit for depth, and fit it into a spare BLANK (clock blank) to make it work...it looks good.) 

Then put the bulkhead connector back in and reassembled the gauge cluster.

Put in a 10 gauge bypass wire from alternator (removing old alt wire) and ran it to the starter relay.

Car is now starting almost instantly !!   The voltage gauge shows about 12.3 volt (battery read) when turned to accessory, and 11.8-11.9 volt with key on and with engine running 13 volt at idle and 14.0 volt above 1000 rpm !!   Haven't tried the headlights at night to see if any different...but...wow...car is starting almost instantly.   Wish i had done this a year ago..   

I now have a working ammeter i can sell if anyone wants one ! 

dodj

:clapping:
Glad you got it all sorted out.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

73_Cuda_4_Me

:banana:

:woohoo:

Congrats! Glad you got it sorted out!
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

MOPAR MITCH

A good thread.. i'm planning to install a volt gage.

chargerdon

It wasn't that hard.   I got a 2 inch voltmeter i know they said Sunpro...  but i bought a cheaper unit off of ebay mostly because i liked the gauge face better...reads 8 to 16...so face is larger in the 12-14 volt range than the Sunpro..   

to install in the ammeter location (standard gauges)  .   I used the blank plate spare that i had and cut the 2 inch round hole in it and  i had to cut out the back of the gauge cluster cage (voltmeter deeper than the ammeter) and found a switched power source and hooked it up along with its internal light...  Bolted together the ammeters red and black wires and heavily taped it.   Pulled the alternator (black wire out of the bulkhead harness and taped off.   Then ran a 10 gauge wire from alternator (after removal of original wire from alternator) and ran it to the starter relay batter post.   Done.    Works well... 

kawahonda

FYI, they make USB chargers that go into the cigarette lighter, and may have a voltage read-out.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

734406PK

Quote from: chargerdon on September 10, 2018, 12:58:04 PM
Ok...   took dash gauge cluster out...   measured volts at ammeter both sides...and got battery voltage with key off.   With key on Battery side showed 11.75 volt and alt side showed 11.5   so some .25 volt loss here. 

Also bit the bullet and pulled the bulkhead connector off on passenger side.   Glad i did.   The Battery wire looked real good, but, the alt (black wire) showed several spots were the insulation was melted off, and one spot where it and the Run wire wire partially fused together.   Ill bet there was some loss there also.. 

Also, the windshield wiper wires were a mess !!  (it still worked but could have been part of the problem).    Pulled the alt wire out of harness and taped it up good...  (left it out as doing the ammeter bypass it wont be needed).   Repaired the wiper wires with tape and two new connectors..

Also taped up the "run" wire.

Removed ammeter (bolted the two leads together) and lots of tape...   and put in a voltmeter in its place..power fed from an accessory lead and ground to dash board.    (had to cut out the back of the gauge dash to make the voltmeter fit for depth, and fit it into a spare BLANK (clock blank) to make it work...it looks good.) 

Then put the bulkhead connector back in and reassembled the gauge cluster.

Put in a 10 gauge bypass wire from alternator (removing old alt wire) and ran it to the starter relay.

Car is now starting almost instantly !!   The voltage gauge shows about 12.3 volt (battery read) when turned to accessory, and 11.8-11.9 volt with key on and with engine running 13 volt at idle and 14.0 volt above 1000 rpm !!   Haven't tried the headlights at night to see if any different...but...wow...car is starting almost instantly.   Wish i had done this a year ago..   

I now have a working ammeter i can sell if anyone wants one !

Nice job chargerdon! You never gave up and you have found the issue! Congrats and enjoy your MOPAR! :worship:

chargerdon

734406PK