Main Menu

Question about removing a driveshaft (sort of)

Started by Valkman, May 10, 2017, 06:50:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Valkman

I installed a rebuilt 4spd. I put 4qts in it I then capped the tailshaft so it wouldn't leak before I installed it. With the transmission installed  I pulled the cap off to install the driveshaft and a bunch of oil came out? I've  removed driveshafts before and no oil leaked out? Is this normal, did I put to much oil in the trans?

Cuda Cody

The angle of the trans can have an affect on how much oil will come out.  Just install the drive line and when you are all ready to go use the side fill hole to check the level and top off as needed.   :alan2cents:

jimynick

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 10, 2017, 07:12:18 PM
The angle of the trans can have an affect on how much oil will come out.  Just install the drive line and when you are all ready to go use the side fill hole to check the level and top off as needed.   :alan2cents:
Yep, what the man said and, if you didn't already know, the fluid should come up to the edge of that hole when you remove the plug.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

that  is normal they hold  lot of fluid & it is above the rear seal , oil will always come out of the rear unless the front wheels are on the ground  & the rear is raised high up 

Valkman

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 10, 2017, 08:56:57 PM
that  is normal they hold  lot of fluid & it is above the rear seal , oil will always come out of the rear unless the front wheels are on the ground  & the rear is raised high up

Thanks  all!

That make sense because when I removed the driveshaft in the past I always had the back end jacked up, and now  I have both ends up in the air up so the is car level. 

RUNCHARGER

I always tip the back up if I pull the dummy yoke when installing.
Sheldon