Main Menu

1971 Hemi Choke Question

Started by floorit426, March 05, 2019, 03:39:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

floorit426

Does anyone know why they changed to a manual choke, for just one year?

Chryco Psycho

Possible there was not enough heat to the intake for a bi metal choke to work well , the better solution would have been electric choke

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: I think after 5 years they got it right. The originals piped exhaust heat up in a tiny tube to the choke mechanism, I don't think they ever worked that great. 71 is an awesome system.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

I've always ran a manual choke on my car. Granted she's in storage for now but just easier to control on cold/damp days

6bblgt

I think I've read/seen it mentioned the manual choke for '71 had something to do with emissions  :dunno:

RUNCHARGER

That's the weird thing. You would think emissions standards would mandate an automatic choke.
Sheldon

floorit426

I'm surprised they would even bother, unless it was mandated. After five years of automatic choke, it doesn't seem to make sense to go through the trouble to switch, just for one year.

6bblgt

when they switched, it wasn't known how close the "END" was

RUNCHARGER

That's true: They were planning the 440+6 for 72 but sales just tanked in 71 so I think they pulled the plug on the big guns for 72 during the 71 model run.
Sheldon

js27

Yea I believe there were 3-- 72 440+6 B Bodies built. 1 Road Runner and 2 Super Bees. I also remember reading about a 72 Hemi Cuda fender tag--not sure if it was a hoax or not. I think it was Ron Adaire who had it. Emmission and Insurance killed the muscle cars for a while anyway--Now we have the Hellcats and Demons.
JS27

ScottSmith_Harms

As far as know what 6bblgt stated testing is correct, it reportedly likely helped them pass emissions in cold start testing.