Main Menu

1971 T/A UPDATE

Started by anlauto, November 08, 2018, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on November 12, 2018, 05:30:31 AM
Freeze damage??

Yup... Seen that a few times even living here in a warmer climate..... I guess people forget it does still get cold at times...

RUNCHARGER

Did you run that block as it is without knowing? Sometimes it's better not to know.
Sheldon

anlauto

It looks ugly, but if it holds water who cares ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

Looks a bit iffy, hopefully it all works out.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

700 AKN

QuoteDid you run that block as it is without knowing? Sometimes it's better not to know.

It was a real surprise to me finding out about this damage.   I had the engine rebuilt back in 1989 and nothing was said about damage.  Also I have never had any water leaking into the block since I have owned the car.  Oil was showing nothing and car never overheated when running.   The only reason I decided to get the motor rebuilt was because 2 cylinders were showing very low pressure and the rest were starting down the same road.   Also since the rebuild in 1989 I had very low vacuum because of the purple cam that was installed at the time.  I have always had poor brakes and I drive with both feet.   Sorry for getting off topic.  I hope you'll forgive me Alan.

RUNCHARGER

Then I would pressure check it again after machine work and use it.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

I didn't think that purple cams are all that wild and most folks are getting 14-15" of vacuum from them.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Morty426

Having a TA block adds value and increases the ability to sell the car

Chryco Psycho

Purple shaft cams cover a wide range from bone stock to crazy , most other than the stock repro cams have more overlap & low idle vacuum

anlauto

@6bblgt @ScottSmith_Harms
So the guy got me the stamped numbers off the block, but I'm confused a bit:
He says:
GW340P3463074 (J11X5)   Curious thing is, the J11X5 is upside down compared to all the rest. Any idea what that might be ?

I think what he thought was an upside down 5 on the end could be a 9 ? for GW340P34630749 Does that make more sense ?

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

Quote from: Flatdad on November 09, 2018, 04:20:47 AM
Interesting that there is still no standard rallye dash or floor shift for automatics mentioned in the '71 ad. That would be a bummer to order up this car new with all the race inspired equipment hung on it, only to jump in and discover you've got a standard dash and column shift. I wonder if a '71 T/A would be allowed to have AC since its a 4bbl instead of a six pack.

As for the original post, I remember seeing a 340 advertised as a '71 T/A block on Indy's craigslist for quite a while, but figured it was misidentified. The ad reran for a long time before someone bit.

Always that it was weird for most T/As and AARs to be such low option cars with standard dash clusters when you were obviously wanting a performance model not  a low performance Barracuda.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

6bblgt

GW340P3463074 (J11X5)

G = 1971 model year
W = Windsor, Ontario engine assembly plant
340 = cu.in.
P = premium fuel
3463 = Wednesday January 20, 1971 engine assembly date
0745 = sequence number (just looks like the "5" is upside down)

J11 =   :dunno: Champion spark plug  :dunno:

:takealook: Maltese cross & "X" = .010" undersized crankshaft (GG's "white book" doesn't specify rods, mains or both?)

mccannix

11-24-69 must have been the popular leftover TA block series to use in some 71 Demons.
I have this TA block, same 11-24-69 date, that I removed from a 71 Sassy Grass 340 auto Demon in about 1980
GW340P33110449
For the record this did NOT have TA heads, nor should the one Alan speaks of have, on installation IMHO.