Main Menu

23 spline: What can it take? Or Not take?

Started by Topcat, July 09, 2019, 08:01:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Wanting to know and hear more about what are the limitations or limits on a 23 spline 833.

How much Horsepower / Torque can they reach on an offline launch?

Tires can be getting pretty sticky these days now so I want to make sure this Hemi doesn't blow up the shaft if I go more grip.

Chryco Psycho

My Duster had the weakest 23 spline , it was alum case OD , I could lift the front wheels 2' on every launch & cover 60' in 1.4 seconds at the track , I scattered 4 sure grips but never hurt the trans , I moved the engine & trans over to the tube chassis Cuda I built , it was running a 14x32" slick with 4.30 gears , I tore 10 teeth from the pinion & 37 teeth from the ring gear on the first launch , the trans was fine .
I don't know of anyone torturing a 23 spline as hard as I have but I could not break it  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: They're pretty stout. The weakest A833 is stronger than the most durable 4 speed put in the GM musclecars of the period.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

That is for sure Sheldon , I thought the Muncies came from a Vega going by the size !!
Bill Jenkins ran 833s in Pro Stock in his Chevs , I wonder why ?  :thinking:

gzig5

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 09, 2019, 08:10:09 PM
My Duster had the weakest 23 spline , it was alum case OD , I could lift the front wheels 2' on every launch & cover 60' in 1.4 seconds at the track , I scattered 4 sure grips but never hurt the trans , I moved the engine & trans over to the tube chassis Cuda I built , it was running a 14x32" slick with 4.30 gears , I tore 10 teeth from the pinion & 37 teeth from the ring gear on the first launch , the trans was fine .
I don't know of anyone torturing a 23 spline as hard as I have but I could not break it  :alan2cents:

Was that aluminum case stock or did you bush the counter-shaft?

Chryco Psycho

I ran it 9 seasons stock , when I moved it into the tube chassis cuda I had it bushed for 1 launch & never drove the car again  :Thud:
In the Duster it was never trailered , always street driven .