Main Menu

318 swap to 440

Started by Iowa Six Barrel, November 13, 2017, 08:28:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Iowa Six Barrel

I have a 70 Challenger SE. It came from the factory with a 318 and a 4 speed transmission. Am I correct that the K frame from the 318 would also take a 440.  I thought the only K frame swap is for the slant 6 going to any V8. So, all V8s use the same K frame - difference being a 440 k frame has the skid pad welded to the bottom of the K frame to protect the deeper pan.

Chryco Psycho

True the K frame is the same & also the trans crossmember & mount , as you said the skid plate was added to protect the deeper oil pans & can be added to any K frame

anlauto

not "all" v8's.........The Hemi uses a different K Frame  :alan2cents:

...but yea,....you're right, it's a pretty simple swap.....you might want larger torsion bars...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

You can mount the Hemi also just need special mounts & headers to fit .
Not the factory way but I have done it .
Even the 3 gen Hemi will bolt in with the right mounts & headers .

fc7cuda

Quote from: anlauto on November 14, 2017, 04:03:38 AM,....you're right, it's a pretty simple swap.....you might want larger torsion bars...

or not if it's gonna be a 1/4 mile car.   :burnout:

dave73

I just did this swap over the winter, my first ever engine swap. It was pretty darn easy and I had no clue what I was doing going into it...

Just get ready to get nickel and dimed to death on all the little things that won't transfer from the 318 to the 440.

HP_Cuda

Hence the mopar $$$ pit.

But at least you have something that isn't really seen very often.  :banana:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200