Main Menu

340 throwing oil

Started by Rdchallenger, August 30, 2024, 07:08:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Does anyone else happen to have a problem with their 340 throwing oil on the passenger side when turning highish RPMs?

Car runs amazing, pulls nonstop, sounds healthy, no smoke anywhere. But if I need to take it on the interstate and run higher RPMs by that I mean 3600-4000, when I get home to detail it I always have oil on the passenger side inner fender, shock mount, and up under the hood.
Obviously it has to be crank pressure, but I'm not sure how to fix that. PVC is new as well as the breather. Also using FEL-PRO 1646 valve cover gaskets.

Thank you for any suggestions. One of the reasons I'm wanting to switch to an O.D. Transmission eventually.

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Rdchallenger

I forgot to mention, I did add the baffles to them before installing. Thank you though!  :handshake:

73_Cuda_4_Me

Are you using the 90-degree filter adapter? Sounds like high pressure (high rpm's) spraying oil upwards from bad filter or adapter gasket, and the 90-degree adapter likes to leak around the large mounting bolt if not assembled correctly... if not using adapter, could be bad filter seal (maybe leftover filter gasket on block mounting face?)
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Rdchallenger

Pushing up from oil dipstick. I was thinking it might be that but was hoping not. PCV works, but that tells me it'll need a ring job in its future. Still runs amazing, so in no hurry for a tear down.
To hold me over until then, has anyone put an O-ring on the dipstick to help with pushing oil at high rpm's?