Main Menu

383 w/727 trans value question

Started by TripleBlk70, March 28, 2024, 02:00:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TripleBlk70

If this isn't the right place for this question, Admins let me know.

I got a 383 engine with 727 trans bolted up to the back (out of the car) as part of the purchase of my 1970 challenger convertible. I have purchased a 392 hemi with 8spd trans for this project, so I don't need the 383.

I was told the 383 has 11k miles on a rebuild but I haven't run it yet, I can't vouch for the trans. I plan to look inside the cylinders with a camera scope before I fire the engine, and assuming things look ok will spend some time to get it running.

My question is this: if it runs ok, what's it worth? I plan to be upfront with any buyers, and I realize we're not talking about something worth big bucks here I just want to get a sense of what's fair. Thanks for any input.

Mopar5

anlauto

I just sold a "N" code 383 for $500 CDN and a 727 of $250 CDN was in my car running last year...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

If it truly only has 11K on the rebuild and that can be verified runs good and doesn't leak anywhere. I think 2500.00-3500.00 considering a build starts at about 6500.00 would be an easy sell If it is a G or F block. But how do you verify it was really rebuilt with quality parts by a good builder? That's the tough part. Some one could have just put new rings in it in the backyard and called it "rebuilt"

TripleBlk70

I appreciate the replies. I am going to take a look at the numbers on the block to see what I can learn. I can't vouch for or prove in any way that it really was rebuilt, and I would try to represent it as such. Frankly I'd like to see it go to someone who will use it in a project more than anything. I will probably post it locally and see what happens.