Main Menu

440 6 Barrel Engine Build Advice

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, July 24, 2024, 08:09:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Hey all,

I am ready to go on my engine build and could use some advice.  I have decided to get away from a 100% original restoration and build the car completely stock with the exception of engine and wheels / tires.  I want the extra performance so going with aluminum heads and low rise intake, strong cam, electronic ignition and original 3x2 carbs.  My plan is to paint the heads and get as stock looking as I can, hide the electronic ignition etc.

My concern is finding an engine builder that can put it all together with the stock carbs and tune it correctly.  I have read some posts about tuning the carbs but I do not think I have the skill for that and want it to be right.  The goal is to get 500-600 HP if I can - I would think the heads and cam would accomplish that.

Anyone have any advice or experience with a good engine builder in Southern CA (anywhere from Bakersfield to San Diego)

Thanks for help!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

HP2

No idea of builders in the area to recommend, but I'm sure there are a few. Hopefully some members have experience with some.

500 horsepower should not be too tough to hit since you are going with aftermarket heads. Flow was always a pinch point on 440s, so freeing that up right out of the gate will make it easier to hit your target. I'm would imagine the builder you choose will have a recipe to get you there. Rough specs would close to zero deck pistons, decent head (nearly all aftermarket will be here out of the box), and a cam with 280-290 duration @ .050 with a bunch of lift, decent headers, and bang! your there.

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks @HP2 - my main concern is the stock carbs getting jetted / adjusted properly so if anyone has experience with a builder in SoCal let me know!

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

1970A-66Challenger

Not sure how close Indio is to you but Brian Hafliger at IMM Engines has a good reputation but I have not used them.

EV2RTSE

Restorations by Julius is out there somewhere, they do a lot of high end stuff, might be worth a call to see what they could do or who they use for their engines. :dunno:

http://rbyj.com/contact-us/

Cuda_mark

When I did my 440 stroker 6 pack, I got metering plates for the outboard carbs that could have the jets changed. I think I got them from promax. If I recall correctly, I let them know what my engine specs were and they installed the new blocks and jetted the carbs with what they thought would be a good starting point.

Mr Cuda

I don't have my 6bbl running, but I have friends that do.
 Do not let compression go below factory spec, and be very careful running a cam larger than factory.
(Larger cam, more compression)
 The whole thing works on air flow.
 Anything that lowers vacuum signal will lead to problems.
 We have all seen carbs that have been ruined by air bleed modifications and jetting in the name of "tuning".

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks all - great advice to keep in mind and gives me ammunition to ask builders their approach

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: HP2 on July 24, 2024, 10:05:12 AMNo idea of builders in the area to recommend, but I'm sure there are a few. Hopefully some members have experience with some.

500 horsepower should not be too tough to hit since you are going with aftermarket heads. Flow was always a pinch point on 440s, so freeing that up right out of the gate will make it easier to hit your target. I'm would imagine the builder you choose will have a recipe to get you there. Rough specs would close to zero deck pistons, decent head (nearly all aftermarket will be here out of the box), and a cam with 280-290 duration @ .050 with a bunch of lift, decent headers, and bang! your there.

@HP2 You may want to relook that cam recommendation.  :o

MoparCarGuy

The Lunati Voodoo cams are healthy cams with a great lope. Consider reading Hughes Engines' camshaft recommendations page to determine what would work for your planned combination. The phone call to the cam supplier is mandatory and remember that your combination cannot evolve into something else after you buy the camshaft.