Main Menu

440-6 distributor question

Started by truckinman466, November 09, 2017, 03:33:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

What dist.can I use that will plug into a 73 wire harness without having to rewire things?
Trying to keep it simple.

anlauto

Any Mopar  440 electronic distributor will plug into a 73 harness. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

you will need to extend the wires to the front of the engine though as the small block will have the dist in the rear .
Make sure you maintain the polarity of the wires when you extend them also .

anlauto

Yup...I missed the part where he said it was a small block harness, but I guess if it's an E Body that we're talking about...then it's a no brainer :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

B5 Six Pack

I've got a 73 cuda that was originally a 340 car. When I bought it, it had the current 440-6 installed with an electronic distributor. As a previous poster mentioned, the 2 wires from the distributor had been extended to reach the small block harness plug in. No big deal, but a bigger problem was that the small block harness had a large OEM white plastic connector for other items that wound up being located right beside the center carburetor on the passenger side in an already crowded area ( coil, choke rod, etc) It looked like crap and there was no real way to tidy up that existing harness. The solution was to order an engine harness from Year One (other people sell them too) intended for a 1971 Six Pack that had been converted to electronic ignition. Some of the wire colors were different in this 71 harness, but using a 1973 wiring diagram and a meter, I had no particular problems verifying everything. It all wound up plugging in and working fine. That harness will take care of everything in the engine compartment including washer pump and the six pack idle stop solenoid, should you choose to run one. It cleaned up my installation considerably. Unlike the original small block harness, it does not have the large plastic connector in the middle of it, but is continuous from the fire wall connector to the required terminating connector at each item.
The harness I used is Year One P/N HU119NM