Main Menu

440 Dipstick lenght

Started by CookieMan, August 08, 2023, 06:25:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CookieMan

Can anyone please post the 2 lenghts for the dipstick from cap to max and cap to add like shown on picture for the 440 engine. The dipstick i have is not original and seems to be modified (welded in the circle). The oil level now is between add and max but the oil gauge inside is a little on the low side i just want to make shure i ain't driving my car on the low oil side.

71GranCoupe

First, is it a stock pan. Lots of variables so be caution on the decision.

One thought is to fill the engine with the specified amount of oil, do a start, then idle a bit to fill the filter, shut it off and then mark the dip stick accordingly. Probably other ways, but not knowing if any of the dip sticks are original to the motor this will at least give ease of mind until you get the correct tube and stick.  :alan2cents:

pschlosser

Or just buy a proper dipstick.  Either an OEM or aftermarket.  Don't skimp on the dipstick, it's too important.

CookieMan

Damn so there isn't a one size for all engines this is going to be a bit problematic since im shure that the oil pan is not original. Can i trust the oil gauge inside the car until replacement part comes or is it better to leave the oil level it as is.

pschlosser

Quote from: CookieMan on August 09, 2023, 01:24:10 PM
Damn so there isn't a one size for all engines this is going to be a bit problematic since im shure that the oil pan is not original. Can i trust the oil gauge inside the car until replacement part comes or is it better to leave the oil level it as is.

I'm going to risk suggesting the non-factory oil pan isn't a concern, presuming its bigger and not smaller.  It seems to me you want the oil level as high as you can get it without causing a windage problem with the spinning crankshaft and frothing up the oil. 

Bringing the level of oil up to the same height as the factory OEM level would still be your target, especially if you're using a windage tray found in some OEM HP motors.  An OEM (or nearly OEM repop) dipstick does this, since it measures from the top down, no matter which oil pan you have under there.